Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15215 - 23/08/2000 21:51 Delete/suppress visuals
dglinder
new poster

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
It would be great if we could delete and/or suppress the visuals we don't care for. Or have some kind of "favorite visuals" function. Or, at least, configure the order they are presented in. It's annoying to have to always have to scroll through all of them to get to the ones you like best.

#15216 - 24/08/2000 05:27 Re: Delete/suppress visuals [Re: dglinder]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Yep, suggested lots of times, and on the wishlist.

Rob

#15217 - 24/08/2000 11:47 Re: Delete/suppress visuals [Re: rob]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Perhaps it would be useful to have the current wishlist on the geek site? It might reduce the number of queries for things that are already considered.

How about a voting system too....

Hmmmm.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254

#15218 - 24/08/2000 12:02 Re: Delete/suppress visuals [Re: phaigh]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Sorry, we can't get democratic over this, our workload is too heavy and intertwined with other projects. It's often not a coincidence that you get a new feature right around the same time that an OEM project gets it.

If a third party wants to maintain a democratic wishlist then that might not be a bad idea, and we would certainly take notice of it, but I suspect you'll find that we've already thought of many of the ideas. It's quite rare to see a suggestion that we haven't already thought of - don't forget that there are a dozen of us living and breathing empeg every day

That said, we've implemented some great features as a result of BBS suggestions.

Rob

#15219 - 25/08/2000 05:29 Re: Delete/suppress visuals [Re: rob]
prolux

Loc: Manchester, UK
The suppression of a particular visual, or a number of them is already possible using the following hack:

The file empeg/lib/primitives.list by default contains only the reference to the file primitives.bin where the visuals reside. If you add a list of comma separated numbers after the reference to primitives.bin and save primitives.list, you'll notice that only the visuals corresponding to the numbers you've included will be activated. The numbers can be calculated from the order in which they appear by pressing the visuals cycle button.

Note that this is not intended as a solution to the suppression of visuals, and was initially implemented for our own testing purposes - However, for those of you desperate to suppress individual visuals, a little experimenting with the primitives.list file should solve the problem in the short term.

Toby

#15220 - 25/08/2000 10:40 Re: Delete/suppress visuals [Re: prolux]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
This needs to go in the faq.

Calvin

#15221 - 25/08/2000 10:46 Re: Delete/suppress visuals [Re: eternalsun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This needs to go in the faq.

That's a tough call, because it will change soon. It's a great tip (thanks for telling us about it, Toby), but it's kind of hard to put something into the FAQ if we know it'll be obsolete in a month. I don't know how long it's going to be before the plug-in architecture is in place.

#15222 - 25/08/2000 10:54 Re: Delete/suppress visuals [Re: tfabris]
prolux

Loc: Manchester, UK
Probably best is doesn't go in the FAQ as Tony suggests, because firstly it is not an adequate fix to the problem, and secondly, the visuals architecture is due for a major overhaul which will solve the problem in a cleaner way.

The main reason for it not being an adequate fix is that the visuals are indexed by number in the file primitives.list, and therefore you need to create a new modified version of primitives.list for every new visuals library you get hold of - MESSY!

#15223 - 25/08/2000 14:08 Re: Delete/suppress visuals [Re: rob]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Actually Rob,

That wasn't what I meant. I wanted to see a list of features that us users wanted to see and a vote for what seemed important to us.

Wether you guys@empeg take any notice is up to you, but I'm definitely not trying to suggest that we dictate your workload, just that it's difficult to see what features might be important to us.

Regualrlly I see a post from someone and think - "Damn! That really annoys me too" or "Yeah! I'd love to see that feature" but I'm not going to post that information for brevity's sake.

Anyway, just my 2p.

aul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254

#15224 - 28/08/2000 09:20 Re: Delete/suppress visuals [Re: phaigh]
dglinder
new poster

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
It would be nice to have a separate, unofficial "wish list", whether it gets voted on or not. Why? Simply so we canknow what has already been "wished for" to avoid duplication. When Ithink of a new idea, I might want to post it, but I don't want to be repetitive and force people to reply "yes, that's been suggested a hundred times, we already know about it." But it's a pain to try and search the entire BBS for every suggestion.

If someone who knows how were to post a list on their site with a very simple voting mechanism that just tallied votes and displayed the list sorted by popularity, that would be great, too, for both users and perhaps guys@empeg. But just a simple text list would be fine, too. If someone wants to compile the list, I'll host it at my site.

#15225 - 28/08/2000 14:18 Re: Delete/suppress visuals [Re: dglinder]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

repetitive and force people to reply "yes, that's been suggested a hundred times, we already know about it." But it's a pain to try and search the entire BBS for every suggestion.

It's actually kind of good to get duplicate wishes though - it let's empeg know what their customers really want; they're probably more likely to pay attention to a wish that's requested by almost everyone, then one that's requested by one person..
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units