Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20683 - 18/10/2000 07:05 playlist options
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hello.

While thinking about the (currently not supported in emplode) option for a playlist to be excluded from playing through its parent, I got an idea of what options might be useful fro a playlist:
1) always randomize (available)
2) exclude from parent (planned, probably supported by player, but not
yet by emplode)
3) always repeat (open)
4) never randomize childs (open)
While the use of (4) might not be immediately clear, it could be used to create a playlist that is the sorted version of an otherwise randomized playlist. (3) is much easier to understand though. Just think of a playlist that contains all your favorite music, and that is "always randomize"d. If you play that list, you probably do not want it to simply stop after playing each song once, but to re-randomize it and play it again. In my case, I would like the top playlist (which contains all my music so far) to automatically play again after it completed the first run (which will take at least 3 more weeks worth of driving).

cu,
sven

#20684 - 18/10/2000 09:16 Re: playlist options [Re: smu]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
4) never randomize childs

This is currently the way it works.

If you make a parent playlist, say, called "Random albums", and it's set to "Always randomize", and you fill it with a bunch of album playlists which aren't set to randomize, it will shuffle the albums while leaving the song order within each album intact.

#20685 - 20/10/2000 08:06 Re: playlist options [Re: tfabris]
smu
old hand

Hi Tony.

Well, my "never randomize childs" was meant as to override any "always randomize" in child playlists. The way I came up with this suggestion was this: I like to have my non-live-albums to always be shuffled (randomized), but I would like them to _not_ be randomized, when played as sub-playlists from artist-playlists. To be more precise, this resembles my setup:

\a\b
\c
\d
where "b","c","d" are albums from the same artist that are set to "always randomize". This is fine for me as long as "b","c" and "d" are hit via different paths, but when playing them through "a", I would like them to not be randomized, cause randomization would make it extremely likely to get the same song (different versions though) immediately following itself, cause some songs are found on "b","c" and "d".
Following these lines, a "always randomize throughout childs" would be neat, too (resembling playing that list with Shuffle set to On).

cu,
sven

#20686 - 20/10/2000 09:22 Re: playlist options [Re: smu]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
(3) is much easier to understand though. Just think of a playlist that contains all your favorite music, and that is "always randomize"d. If you play that list, you probably do not want it to simply stop after playing each song once, but to re-randomize it and play it again

How is this different from the behaviour of the "Automatically repeat" option in the 1.0 / 1.01 emplode?

Peter

#20687 - 20/10/2000 15:51 Re: playlist options [Re: peter]
smu
old hand

Hi Peter.

Uhm, well, I, well, ... must have missed that option. Canīt check itīs functionality and availability right now though: empeg is in the car is in my garage and Iīm on my way to bed, so I will have to check that tomorrow. Thanks for pointing that out though.

cu,
sven