Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20827 - 20/10/2000 15:43 time only info display?
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
While listening to "Meatloaf live at Wembley" (whole track in one MP3), I stumbled across my usual problem (i.e. empeg crashing), which resulted in the empeg restarting the playback at 15:something instead of 30:something where it left of (even did so after a sleep-mode -> on transition when I turned the car of for a few minutes). However:
As the info displays (all of them) only displayed useless info except for the playback time, I would have really liked a "line" type info screen that only displayed the playback time in a corner of the screen, leaving the biggest part of the screen to the visuals.

Site note: As stated above, the empeg skipped _way_ backwards after a short sleep. As a result, I ffwd´ed to the original position or at least tried to. What happened seeme a bit funny: I skipped forward until the playback time displayed was about the same as before (30:something), and then simply released the button to get back to normal playback. That worked well, mostly, but the playtime clock needed some seconds to readjust to its actual position: I startet at 32:10, went backwards until reaching 29:40 (after about 5 seconds), than skipped to 33:05 and back to 30:55. After that the play clock worked as expected. The playback itself was ok throughout this happening. Hmmmm.

cu,
sven

#20828 - 20/10/2000 15:47 Re: time only info display? [Re: smu]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I can't believe you haven't sent the player back in for repair yet. Those crashes shouldn't be happening.

#20829 - 20/10/2000 16:11 Re: time only info display? [Re: tfabris]
smu
old hand

Hi Tony.

I guess I´m way to used to computers crashing. Must be all those Win9x machines I have to handle at work that got me that far.

cu,
sven

#20830 - 20/10/2000 16:21 Re: time only info display? [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I can't believe you haven't sent the player back in for repair yet

Never mind the anomalies in the time counter display... I can't believe he can even FF or REW at all on a VBR encoded file. (I'm assuming the counter anomalies are caused by the VBR, not some hardware fault in the empeg.)

I guess I can FF/REW on perhaps one out of 10 songs in my empeg. I know that this will be fixed in 1.1, so it's nothing that greatly concerns me.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#20831 - 20/10/2000 18:50 Re: time only info display? [Re: tanstaafl.]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
>sigh< yep; my empeg tends to go backwards sometimes when fastforwarding a vbr file..
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!

#20832 - 21/10/2000 00:52 Re: time only info display? [Re: tanstaafl.]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
I can't believe he can even FF or REW at all on a VBR encoded file.

I've found that FF/REW tends to work somewhat more reliably if the player is paused. All my tunes are VBR.

Borislav

#20833 - 21/10/2000 19:22 Re: time only info display? [Re: smu]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
For me some songs in VBR, which I have a lot of, don't seem to FF or REW but instead stutter slowly advancing maybe a half second one way or the other.

#090000695 Mk2 BLUE 12Gig

#20834 - 23/10/2000 04:26 Re: time only info display? [Re: tanstaafl.]
smu
old hand

Never mind the anomalies in the time counter display... I can't believe he can even FF or REW at all on a VBR encoded file. (I'm assuming the counter anomalies are caused by the VBR, not some hardware fault in the empeg.)
I´m assuming the same thing. however, I guess it is a bug never the less. When FF´ing through a song (and it actually does so)1, the time counter should never get lower.
I guess I can FF/REW on perhaps one out of 10 songs in my empeg. I know that this will be fixed in 1.1, so it's nothing that greatly concerns me.
I don´t know, but I hope it will be fixed with the new codec. All VBR headers are ok on my unit, I double checked that with winamp (using the original codec it uses and the mp123 codec (actually lame decoder)).
Oh well, I enjoy my MkII even with the problems I´m having.

cu,
sven

#20835 - 24/10/2000 01:05 Re: time only info display? [Re: borislav]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
I've found that FF/REW tends to work somewhat more reliably if the player is paused. All my tunes are VBR.

I take that back, it pretty much depends on the song, and for the ones that FF/REW don't work with, pause doesn't help. Nevermind, I can wait till 1.1.

Borislav

#20836 - 25/10/2000 14:03 Re: time only info display? [Re: borislav]
Verteggio
stranger

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Ya know what's funny... when I show people the empeg, they thinks it's kinda cool that it fast-forwards in reverse...

Hrrrmmm... Oh well.

--verteggio