Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25633 - 28/01/2001 01:09 Integrate playlist selection and playing of songs
jkh
new poster

I've tried browsing the wishlist forum here to see if someone has already suggested this, but my apologies for finding that process too clunky to do more than wade through a dozen or so postings before giving up.

In a nutshell, what I'd REALLY most like to do after driving around with my empeg player for the last 4 months or so is not have the concepts of playlist and "play" be so disconnected from eachother. What I mean is that I can browse through all my playlist data no problem, but once I actually select something to play my "place" in the playlist is totally lost and I have to go all the way back to the root of the playlist. That's truly annoying and runs counter to the way I (and I suspect many others) like to listen to music. We get it into our heads to have a (insert your favorite band) fest on that long trip to Canada and so we go Playlist->Band name->Some Album->play. Then that finishes and what we'd obviously like to be able to do is hit "back" to go back up to Band name, select a different album and then play it, all with no more than 2 button presses or so. It has nothing to do with having too many songs on the player or deeply nested structures, it's simply far more intuitive.

I do also appreciate the fact that the top button in the group of four is "pause" rather than "back", but quite frankly I'd be just as happy to make the volume knob's default push action be "pause" and have the four buttons truly do navigation *at all times*, not just when I'm not playing something.

If this is a FRF (Frequently Requested Feature) then please mark me down as one of those people who would be willing to sell several of his relatives into slavery to get it. Oh yeah, and please start remembering my last info and visual settings across reboots. Thanks. :-)

Edited by jkh on 28/01/01 08:16 AM.

#25634 - 28/01/2001 01:32 Re: Integrate playlist selection and playing of songs [Re: jkh]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
If this is a FRF (Frequently Requested Feature) then please mark me down as one of those people who would be willing to sell several of his relatives into slavery to get it.

It is a FRF. I and others have whined about this repeatedly but there hasn't been any response from Empeg so far. I think we should whine some more and wear them down.

Oh yeah, and please start remembering my last info and visual settings across reboots.

The player does remember those settings but there's a catch. Please read the FAQ entry on the subject. There's a workaround available...

Borislav

#25635 - 28/01/2001 02:55 Re: Integrate playlist selection and playing of songs [Re: borislav]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey, Empeg Guys...

Here's a silly suggestion...

When the player switches to the info screen in the car, how about putting up a brief text box saying "Player starting in non-visual mode in the car." or "Visuals are off by default in the car." Or something. Anything to keep people from asking that question. Over. And over. And over...

#25636 - 28/01/2001 12:12 Re: Integrate playlist selection and playing of songs [Re: jkh]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
What I mean is that I can browse through all my playlist data no problem, but once I actually select something to play my "place" in the playlist is totally lost and I have to go all the way back to the root of the playlist.

I think that bookmark feature comming in 1.1 will provide a workaround for this, but guys@empeg or the people who saw it previewed will correct me if wrong and expand otherwise

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#25637 - 29/01/2001 02:13 Re: Integrate playlist selection and playing of songs [Re: bonzi]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
I think that bookmark feature comming in 1.1 will provide a workaround for this, but guys@empeg or the people who saw it previewed will correct me if wrong and expand otherwise

No, bookmarks are not what jkh is asking for. This has been discussed before.

Wishes,
Borislav

#25638 - 29/01/2001 15:59 Re: Integrate playlist selection and playing of songs [Re: borislav]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Ah, yes, so bookmarks remeber playlist and position within it, not its place in the menu structure...

Well, let me just add my voice to your wish (and perhaps a few bears to bribe fund :-)

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#25639 - 30/01/2001 08:54 It used to be that way... [Re: jkh]
tychl
new poster

If I remember correctly, beta5 on the MK1 had the behavior you wanted in regards to remembering your position in the playlist selection. Hit the button to go back into the menu and it took you where you were last. I think it changed in beta6 or 7, maybe it was when they added Hierarchical Playlist Navigation in B7. I could be wrong though, that was about 18 months ago, anyone else remember back then?

I found a post by clemsonjeep mentioning it, so it changed sometime between 17 August 1999 when I got the MK1, and:

Subject: Humble Interface Suggestions
Poster: ClemsonJeep
Posted on: Fri Nov 19 16:55:29 1999