Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#30805 - 08/05/2001 15:32 Auto Equalizer
philp69
journeyman

Loc: Long Island, NY
How about an auto-equalizer function? My Pioneer head unit already has this built in, but I'm sure it would be very useful for empeg owners as well. It uses a plug in microphone placed in the listening area and plays pink noise through the system while slowly sequencing between speakers, etc. It sets the eq levels and balance/fader based on the received audio. I find Pioneer's auto-eq to work extremely well and could be a useful feature/selling point for the Empeg...

Regards,

Phil
Blue #010101261

#30806 - 08/05/2001 15:39 Re: Auto Equalizer [Re: philp69]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This has been discussed before.

The microphone input on the Empeg can't sample at a high enough frequency to EQ the upper part of the range. I don't remember the exact number, but I think you could only get valid data up to 11k or 13k or something like that. You could theoretically extrapolate, though, based on the rest of the curve.

The empeg folks probably won't be developing this any time soon, but there's nothing to stop you from writing it yourself. Wanna be the first?

#30807 - 08/05/2001 17:27 Re: Auto Equalizer [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I don't think you could extrapolate - this would defeat the whole purpose. It is likely that you need to notch out or boost some quite specific resonant or flat bands to compensate for the characteristics of the system, and I don't see how those could be predicted - especially at the treble end of the scale.

Rob

#30808 - 09/05/2001 00:44 Re: Auto Equalizer [Re: rob]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
if it were an external device with a larger sampling range, it could then give commands down the serial line.

this is a different fettle of kish

Murray 06000047
I don't think, therefore I am not.

#30809 - 10/05/2001 12:23 Re: Auto Equalizer [Re: rob]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
I have been playing around with a DSP based auto eq for the empeg. It's real basic right now and not integrated with the empeg very well but its a start.

Is there an anti-ailising filter on the empeg DSP input? There probably is, but if not, you could use the ailising to your advantage and get the high frequency values.

Alex Lear