Anyone want to attack this?

I'm thinking that the ability to be able to scroll across a mapquest image could be kinda useful. Obviously, this is somewhat of a challenge. The image conversion should be done on the empeg (background task maybe?), so that mapquest images can be ftp'd straight to the empeg without manual modification.

Attached is the result of gimping a mapquest file to indexed using my approximations of an empeg palette. I'll attach a 128x32 clip from this image with a reply to this post. This will show how a portion of image would appear on the empeg.

For bonus points, parse the image for the color mapquest uses to highlight a route, and animate the scoll to follow the route from the start point (or the point where the route intersects the edge of the image) to the end point (the star usually in the center of the image).

In direct scroll mode, the empeg buttons should scoll the image, and in animate mode, the buttons should pause the animation and go into scroll mode (so we can check a road name that's not totally on screen), whilst the knob should control animation speed (with rewind being available).

Anyone up for it??

Attachments
77217-examplemap_full.gif (122 downloads)