Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56693 - 08/01/2002 20:00 Minor emplode quibbles.
peterk
journeyman

Loc: California (Ex NZ)
Forgive me if these have already been listed.

When I drag a new directory of mp3 files into emplode, they are always listed alphabetically by title, with the play order incrementing consecutively. I want the play order to be the same as on the CD. Can you add an option to import and order by the track # tag.

Am I the only one who prefers it this way?

When re-ordering track (as above) in 2.0b3 you could "drag and drop", within the right hand window, to re-order tracks. This is broken in 2.0b7, you have to use the ""move up, move down" buttons

In a momentent of stupidity, I dragged a directory of mp3 files from explorer onto the root page. (The one that says "Rio emplode music manager") with the HTML stuff, and it accepted it. The tracks were visable under the tracks/genres etc branches on the left tree view, but I couldn't access/find the root directory I added to move it.
The root page should not accept drag and drop.

#56694 - 08/01/2002 21:05 Re: Minor emplode quibbles. [Re: peterk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
they are always listed alphabetically by title, with the play order incrementing consecutively

This is because you don't have the track numbers in the file names. This is covered in the FAQ, here.

2.0b3 you could "drag and drop", within the right hand window, to re-order tracks.

It's Alt-drag now. This is covered in the same FAQ entry as above. There is a bug when you do it, though, in 2.0b7. If you've previously checked the "delete these tracks from the player" box, it will delete them when you drag them, so watch out.

Personally, I don't like the fact you have to alt-drag now, I liked it better without the alt-dragging. But at least now you know how to do it.

with the HTML stuff, and it accepted it. The tracks were visable under the tracks/genres etc branches on the left tree view, but I couldn't access/find the root directory I added to move it.

This is by design.

Anything you drop onto the player goes into the soup views by default, no matter where you drop them. The root page was specifically coded to accept drops for this very reason.

Eventually, the Soup views will be playable from the player's main menu, and all of your artist/album trees will become unnecessary. The default way to add tracks to the player will be dragging them onto the root page. Creating playlists will only be needed for special things like "mood" playlists.

#56695 - 08/01/2002 21:13 Re: Minor emplode quibbles. [Re: peterk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I specifically designed my filenames to sort alphabetically the same as by track (Artist-Album-2 digit Track Number-Track Name.mp3), so I hadn't noticed that. You can use the Sort Order button to the right of the up and down buttons to sort your playlists by Track Number. Also, you can still drag-and-drop to reorder, but you have to hold down Alt to do it now. It actually says it in the status bar, but it took me a while to notice, too.

#56696 - 08/01/2002 21:38 Re: Minor emplode quibbles. [Re: wfaulk]
peterk
journeyman

Loc: California (Ex NZ)
Yeah I just found the sort order button (seems you can right click on the play list as well)

The alt-drag only works for playlists, not albums (or stuff from the soup view) is this intentional?

You're right about the bug, by the way, its vicious. It doesn't seem to matter whether you have clicked on "delete track" or not, its gone.

I see what you mean about the root page. I've always been dropping my imports into the playlist tree, which both creates a new playlist and adds them to the soup. I hadn't really understood that I could have stuff in the soup view and not in a playlist (yes I know thats what the empeg is all about, but it didn't make sense when the only way to play a track was from a playlist)

#56697 - 08/01/2002 21:49 Re: Minor emplode quibbles. [Re: peterk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

yes I know thats what the empeg is all about, but it didn't make sense when the only way to play a track was from a playlist

Actually, it's not all about that yet. 2.0x is sort of a transitionary release. In version 1.0x, there was no soup and playlists were the ONLY thing you could organize with. That's why it doesn't make sense to you: Because it doesn't make sense yet. It will in a later release.

#56698 - 09/01/2002 03:58 Re: Minor emplode quibbles. [Re: peterk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
The alt-drag only works for playlists, not albums (or stuff from the soup view) is this intentional?

Yes.

Items in the soup are ordered (by default) by the last field named in this list (from the code). You cannot change this ordering, except for view purposes:

const TreeRoot soup_roots[] = {

{ IDS_ARTISTS, "Artists", "artist,source,tracknr", "15,17,21", },
{ IDS_ALBUMS, "Albums", "source,tracknr", "19,21", },
{ IDS_GENRES, "Genres", "genre,title", "23,25", },
{ IDS_YEARS, "Years", "year,title", "27,29", },
{ IDS_ALL_TRACKS, "All Tracks", "title", "31", },
};

const TreeRoot non_soup_roots[] = {
{ IDS_ARTISTS, "Artists", "artist,title", "15,17", },
{ IDS_ALBUMS, "Albums", "source,tracknr", "19,21", },
{ IDS_GENRES, "Genres", "genre,title", "23,25", },
{ IDS_YEARS, "Years", "year,title", "27,29", },
{ IDS_ALL_TRACKS, "All Tracks", "title", "31", },
};

The first stanza is for the HSX-109, the second is for the car player.

#56699 - 09/01/2002 10:00 Re: Minor emplode quibbles. [Re: Roger]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi Roger.

So why do you sort the IDS_ARTISTS soup view by tracknr on th HSX, but not so on the empeg? Is there a specific reason for this, or could we consider that as a (more or less cosmetic) bug?

cu,
sven

#56700 - 09/01/2002 12:04 Re: Minor emplode quibbles. [Re: smu]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Because the next level down on the HSX-109 is Album, and that naturally sorts by track number. Since on the car player, all of the albums are mixed in together, it seems more natural to sort them by title.

#56701 - 09/01/2002 13:25 Re: Minor emplode quibbles. [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Since on the car player, all of the albums are mixed in together, it seems more natural to sort them by title.

I haven't seen the Soup stuff working on the car player's front panel yet. But I have to say...

If I go to a Soup view for an album, and pick that album, and it plays it in alphabetical order, I would be very very unhappy and would immediately report it as a bug. This was the number one complaint about the Rio Receiver, and if I recall, it's the one on the top of your To Do list on the Receiver.

If a soup-selected album is not playing in "album order", will there be a method available for correcting it?

#56702 - 10/01/2002 02:32 Re: Minor emplode quibbles. [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

What I mean is that the only way to get to items other than playlists is via the search screens. If you select an artist in the search screen, you get the tracks by that artist in arbitrary order. It seemed more sensible to have emplode list them in alphabetic order.

As soon as the car player does support soup, then emplode will use the same layout as the HSX-109.

In fact, I'm working on making the layout in emplode customisable, anyway.

#56703 - 10/01/2002 04:29 Re: Minor emplode quibbles. [Re: tfabris]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
If I go to a Soup view for an album, and pick that album, and it plays it in alphabetical order, I would be very very unhappy and would immediately report it as a bug.

Nobody has suggested that it might behave like that.

Everywhere tracks from only one album appear -- namely, in the submenus of the Albums menu on either HSX or car-player, and in the submenus under each album under the Artists menu on HSX -- the tracks are in track number order. Everywhere tracks from potentially several albums appear -- namely, in the submenus of the Artists menu on the car-player -- the tracks are in alphabetical order.

Count the commas in Roger's code fragment: the Artists menu tree on HSX is three levels deep, all the other menu trees (including the Artists menu on a car-player) are two levels deep.

This because selecting (say) Stone Roses from the Artists menu on HSX takes you to a submenu containing (say) Turns Into Stone and The Second Coming. Those menus in turn take you to track listings of those albums in track number order. On a car-player, selecting Stone Roses from the Artists menu takes you straight to a list of all Stone Roses tracks in alphabetical order irrespective of album. But even on a car-player, all albums are available in album order from the Albums menu.

Peter

#56704 - 10/01/2002 12:44 Re: Minor emplode quibbles. [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, I understand. You're talking about the on screen display of the tracks, not the play order of the tracks. Sorry. Didn't mean to get testy.