Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#59462 - 16/01/2002 04:06 Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
This morning, I was listening to the tuner on my way into work. When I got here, I brought the player in to use on AC in the office, and it booted up in MP3 mode, as usual. But the Seek Tool remained resolutely stuck at zero time, even though I got music and the full UI.

Pausing and unpausing had no effect; neither did changing tracks (with or without the Seek Tool showing). I tried warm booting ('q' on serial) and even power-cycling to no avail. Eventually, what worked was to change sources to Aux and back again.

When I got the tool back again, I checked to see whether any data had been gathered, and none had, though it didn't appear that any damage had been done to previously-gathered tracks.

#59463 - 11/02/2002 03:46 Re: Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed [Re: tms13]
tms13
old hand

This one's still present in 2.0b11.

#59464 - 11/02/2002 06:11 Re: Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed [Re: tms13]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Same problem here. I am not sure what the tuner has to do with it though. I do have a tuner in my car, but I hadn't used it since my upgrade from 2.0b7... Yet my seek info was still stalled. Switching to AUX and back does indeed fix it.

#59465 - 11/02/2002 07:45 Re: Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed [Re: tonyc]
prolux

Loc: Manchester, UK
Guys I still can't consistently reproduce this bug, although I think I have seen it in action. Could one of you give me a breakdown of the steps required to invoke the bug please?
I've a feeling I know what might be causing it although I'm confused by why only you two are reporting it and that Tony hasn't used his radio for sometime.

Thanks,
Toby.

#59466 - 11/02/2002 07:54 Re: Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed [Re: prolux]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Er, it's not that I hadn't used my radio in some time, but I hadn't used it from the time I upgraded to 2.0b11. That is, here was the sequence of events from Friday:

Listen to radio under 2.0b7
Un-dock Empeg from car
Come inside and find out that 2.0b11 is released
Jump up and down excitedly
Plug in my Empeg at home
Run the 2.0b11 upgrade
Flash the hijack kernel
Play with some new 2.0b11 features
Check out Seek Info Mode, see that it's still frozen

Then this morning I found out about the Aux-in workaround, and that seemed to work. Then I drove into work, listened to my Empeg in the car, and seek mode seemed to be working. Now I come into work and turn it on and the seek info is frozen again. I *think* I was in tuner mode when I took my Empeg out of my car, but I'm not certain.

Maybe Toby S. has more insight on how to reliably reproduce this, I never noticed any pattern before.

#59467 - 11/02/2002 08:33 Re: Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed [Re: tonyc]
tms13
old hand

My steps to reproduce the Frozen Seek Tool bug:

• Get in the car and switch to tuner
  • Listen to the radio on my drive to work
  • Turn off the car (player now in standby mode)
  • Remove the empeg and take it inside
  • Plug it in at my desk (mains power)
  • Switch to Seek Tool
  • Notice it's stuck at 00:00.00.

That's from memory, but I'll try and find time to narrow it down a bit when I get home (where the car and the mains aren't so far apart).

#59468 - 11/02/2002 08:35 Re: Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed [Re: tms13]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Okay, that's probably what I did this morning and the seek tool was indeed frozen.

Toby D, does this help?

(Too many Tony's and Toby's around here!)

#59469 - 11/02/2002 08:46 Re: Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed [Re: tms13]
tms13
old hand

More from my memory:
  • My original steps
  • Select another song (no change in Seek Tool)
  • Change to Transient info and back again (no change in Seek Tool)
  • Power-cycle the player (no change in Seek Tool)
  • Switch to Aux and back again (Seek Tool starts working)

It's like the Seek Tool doesn't get told that the source has changed and that it should now be doing its thing. It appears to still think it's in Tuner mode and can sit on its backside all day, until it gets kicked by changing from Aux to MP3.

#59470 - 11/02/2002 09:18 Re: Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed [Re: prolux]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
This is probably the same as a bug that's been around for a while.

Basically, if you power down the unit with the AM Tuner active, it stores "AM Tuner" as the "channel" in the flash savearea. Next time the unit powers up, say at work without a Tuner attached, the player reads the savearea, and parts of the player think they are running the Tuner, and parts of the player run the mp3 software path instead..

The standard fix (as has been noted here) is to hit the source button a couple of times, to convince the player that no Tuner is attached.

The "timecode" displays are affected by this bug, as well as the Seek Tool. I don't know what else.

If the player has a recent Hijack kernel installed, then a reboot from the Hijack menu might "fix" that instance of the problem as well. But hitting the source button is simpler.

Cheers

-ml

#59471 - 11/02/2002 10:06 Re: Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed [Re: tonyc]
prolux

Loc: Manchester, UK
Thankyou everyone, I've found out what's going on:

You're indeed right about the fact that the player knows the correct source would be tuner, but the tuner isn't there, so it goes into player.

The problem appears to be that a very central part of the player doesn't get told of the actual channel (it looks as though this ommision is purposeful, although I can't think why), so it thinks it is on FM radio when in fact the player is playing. Because the track profiler isn't active for non-player sources it just doesn't work.

Anyhow, before I can claim that this is fixed I must find out why the code appears to purposefully not communicate its channel switching actions to the rest of the player. It all seems to work though.

#59472 - 11/02/2002 10:13 Re: Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed [Re: prolux]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Thankyou everyone, I've found out what's going on:

No, thank you for jumping on this one on the Monday after a Friday release. The effort is much appreciated.

BTW any response to the fact that the "Visuals by name" aren't alpha sorted? I think I posted about that this weekend but it's probably buried in this forum somewhere already.

#59473 - 13/02/2002 09:06 Re: Seek Tool inactive after tuner removed [Re: prolux]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

Just a wild guess, as I don't know anything about the internal player structures and all, but here is a reason to not communicate the absence of a tuner module:

If I have a tuner in car, but not at home (which is the most likely scenario), I might want the player (that I switched off in car while in tuner mode) to return to tuner mode even after being switched on at home (without tuner module, obviously).

cu,
sven