Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#21128 - 25/10/2000 16:01 Play position saved during standby/poweroff
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

This is just to verify that the problem is already known. Here it goes:
While playing my longest MP3 (about 70minutes: Meatloaf live at Wembley, whole CD in a single file), I noticed that after standby/poweroff/reboot (the latter due to some memory problems), my empeg started playback _way_ back in the file. More specific: When turning to standby, it was currently playing 30 minutes in the file. When turning it back on, it restarted at about 15 minutes in the file. The file was encoded using lame, highest available VBR option (max. 320kBit/s, minimum of 128kBit/s).

cu,
sven
(MkII 12GB blue, #080000113)

#21129 - 25/10/2000 16:41 Re: Play position saved during standby/poweroff [Re: smu]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This could be due to one of a few things:

1) Difficult to index into a VBR file with the current XAudio playback engine. This is the same bug that causes the FF/REW problems. If this is the case, the problem should go away with 1.1 since they're using a different playback engine.

2) You said that the reboot happened because of memory problems. Well, the player doesn't save its state unless you physically pull the power. A soft reboot, or a reboot due to a software crash, won't save the player state.

3) You're still having crashes due to memory problems? Haven't you contacted Empeg support and gotten it fixed?

#21130 - 27/10/2000 05:20 Re: Play position saved during standby/poweroff [Re: tfabris]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
This could be due to one of a few things:
1) Difficult to index into a VBR file with the current XAudio playback engine. This is the same bug that causes the FF/REW problems. If this is the case, the problem should go away with 1.1 since they're using a different playback engine.

This might be the case, however I would see that as a bug (either in the XAudio package or empegs software), because current position should be kept as the current byte position in the file (implicitly by number of currently playing mp3 frame or explicitly).

2) You said that the reboot happened because of memory problems. Well, the player doesn't save its state unless you physically pull the power. A soft reboot, or a reboot due to a software crash, won't save the player state.

I know. However, though I first saw that behaviour on a reboot due to a soft reboot (crash), I was able to reproduce it by simply skipping well into the file, letting it play for a while (until the time display stabilized), hold the top button to turn the empeg of (to standby), remove it from the sled, put it back in (it boots, then turns to standby), turn it back on. Now I´m only half as far into the file as I was before turning it of.

3) You're still having crashes due to memory problems? Haven't you contacted Empeg support and gotten it fixed?

It got picked up yesterday, and I´m hoping to have it back soon. I´m already missing it alot

cu,
sven
(MkII 12GB blue, #080000113)

#21131 - 27/10/2000 10:26 Re: Play position saved during standby/poweroff [Re: smu]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I am actually seeing the same thing. I just wrote it off, though, thinking it part of (1) the issue with VBR FF/REW. Basically, when going into standby during a VBR track, it will restart at a different point in the same track. I never really thought about it before (haven't had it hit in a long track yet), but it is the case.

I have not had any memory issues, am running 1.01 developer, and the files were encoded at 128VBR using Siren.

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)