Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#24243 - 05/01/2001 12:37 Playlist restarting
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Hi,

I seem to have a bit of an intermittent problem with my Empeg. Starting my car and switching on my Empeg has caused my playlist to revert back to the point at which it was at the PREVIOUS time that I started it up. At first I thought I was going mad or had a touch of Deja Vu but it's happened 4 times now. Anyone else come across this problem?

18GB Mk II - Blue then Green made my display more serene.

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons

#24244 - 05/01/2001 13:22 Re: Playlist restarting [Re: srhodes]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Starting my car and switching on my Empeg has caused my playlist to revert back to the point at which it was at the PREVIOUS time that I started it up.

If it happens all the time, you might have this problem, although I'm not sure if your symptom is normally related to that problem or not.

But the situation you describe can happen occasionally even with a properly-functioning empeg. When you pull the power from the empeg, it detects the drop in voltage, and using its last dying gasp of power, it quickly writes its state into NVRAM. Sometimes there isn't enough time for the NVRAM-state-save before the electricity is gone completeley. The fact that this works at all just amazes me.

Hugo, if you're listening...

What are the odds of coding the player software to do a state-save whenever the unit is put into sleep mode as well? Just in case it doesn't work on the next power pull? There's already the change you mentioned where it was going to do a state-save whenever the player got a soft reboot command...

#24245 - 07/01/2001 00:26 Re: Playlist restarting [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Yes, the player should really do a state save whenever the display is switched off probably. There's a flush ioctl for the state device, so I'll ask mike nicely :)

Hugo