Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#74150 - 22/02/2002 18:48 Player starts incorrectly from start of list?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Wanted to know if anyone else has seen this bug...

Listening to a random list of my entire unit (5950 songs), with repeat on, I turned the car off and unplugged the empeg while it was playing track 20-something (let's say 26). This evening when starting the player back up in the car, it put me on track 1 of the same list. I had to skips tracks until I got to the song I was playing when I shut down in the morning. Also, neither the song I was playing when I originally shut down, nor the one before it were marked as played. They both said "0" (at least the one previous should have been set to "1")

This is the first time I've seen this problem. And I always play my entire list on random on my way to work. I randomise every couple of days (in this case I did it last night). The only thing different from any other time I've used the player is that since yesterday I've been running with repeat mode on.

I just want more feedback to find out if anyone else has seen this. I haven't sent a report to the guys yet - I don't know if it's something I'll be able to easily reproduce.

Bruno

#74151 - 22/02/2002 19:22 Re: Player starts incorrectly from start of list? [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

#74152 - 22/02/2002 20:48 Re: Player starts incorrectly from start of list? [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I do remember that FAQ entry... But I neither have faulty wiring nor did I yank the player before shutting off ignition. The player shut down just like it does every otehr time. That's why I found this behaviour strange.

As an aside, so far, any time where I have had to yank the player (after a button freeze where the player will not shut down) it always seems to remember my track position properly.

Oh... And damn you for FAQing me.

Bruno

#74153 - 22/02/2002 20:55 Re: Player starts incorrectly from start of list? [Re: hybrid8]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
The player shut down just like it does every other time. That's why I found this behaviour strange.

It's actually fairly common. Well, not common, exactly, but it happens to everybody every once in a while. For whatever reason (phase of the moon, low tire pressure, maybe you need an oil change?) sometimes the player just doesn't have time to save its state before all the electrons fade away. I would guess it happens on my player maybe once every 200 times I turn it off, doesn't matter if it is just pulling the power on my desk, turning off the ignition, or pulling it from the sled.

It is not anything to be concerned about.

tanstaafl.

#74154 - 22/02/2002 21:38 Re: Player starts incorrectly from start of list? [Re: tanstaafl.]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Sounds like a software issue to me then. When turning off the ignition in the car, the player will stay on standby and obviously has a constant power connection. As long as you're not actually pulling the unit out, there should be power available with which to do any number of writes to the save area. Just need to make sure the logic and timing are done in such a way as to guarantee this works every time.

I'll just keep a close eye on the playlist position as I shut down to see if it happens again soon. It would be a huge inconvenience if it happened regularly.

Bruno

#74155 - 23/02/2002 03:50 Re: Player starts incorrectly from start of list? [Re: hybrid8]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Yes, calling the flush ioctl on the empeg_state device has been in the task system for ages, but noone has done it yet...

I'd do it myself, but I'm not allowed to hack on the player code anymore

Hugo

#74156 - 24/02/2002 19:51 Re: Player starts incorrectly from start of list? [Re: altman]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I'd do it myself, but I'm not allowed to hack on the player code anymore

Is the rest of the team allowed to after 2.00 passes Beta?