Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#63133 - 25/01/2002 11:44 reverse order in playlists?
shawn
stranger

Loc: Silicon Valley
Okay. here is the deal. Whenever I search for an album (by source) and select it (with replace mode), it plays in reverse order from when I select it from the playlist.

Example: I wanted to hear Orb Live 93 disc B.
Search by source for Live 93 B, replace current playlist.
First song in playlist is AHEGPB..., which is the last song on the disc. The rest of the playlist is in reverse order.

Immediately I goto to Playlists->Artists->The Orb->Live 93 B
First song is in playlist Valley, first song on the disc. The playlist is in correct order.

At the same time (I think unrelated) some songs don't start playing or crackling static. I think this what other people saw before.

I tried this with a couple other albums, all show this problem. I'm running 2.0b7 and Hijack v114.

-sml

#63134 - 25/01/2002 11:51 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: shawn]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Example: I wanted to hear Orb Live 93 disc B.

It's a bit late on a Friday to start investigating the bug, but I'd just like to say what a cracking album that is.

Peter

#63135 - 25/01/2002 11:59 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: peter]
shawn
stranger

It's a bit late on a Friday to start investigating the bug, but I'd just like to say what a cracking album that is.

Absolutely! That's why I'm sad I can't hear it

The third world, the world of objective contents and thoughts

Not to go too off on a tangent, did the second remix set ever come out in the UK (with different tracks)?

#63136 - 25/01/2002 12:15 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: shawn]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It sounds to me like the FIDs were imported in "Explorer order" (you dragged a group-selected set of files from explorer onto Emplode and synched), but later you re-ordered the album within that playlist so that it was correct.

At this point, the playlist has it correct, but the "soup" selection (which is essentially the result of the search operation) has it in the incorrect FID order.

Either that or the search result is playing them in alphabetical order.

#63137 - 25/01/2002 12:44 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: tfabris]
shawn
stranger

At this point, the playlist has it correct, but the "soup" selection (which is essentially the result of the search operation) has it in the incorrect FID order

Ah! I see. I've uploaded with empsync and I noticed it was doing an upload to a tmp directory in reverse order then moved to the proper playlist to account for track order properly. I'll have to look at that. I didn't think that the search was using the soup views, but that makes sense.

Basically I was using search to find the album instead of playlists. What I can do is search for playlists, not source. That would have the correct order. Just tried that and it worked. Thanks!

#63138 - 25/01/2002 12:55 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: shawn]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I didn't think that the search was using the soup views, but that makes sense.

Well, it doesn't, really. I just used the word "soup" as shorthand to mean anything other than playlist. The search essentially accesses the files the same way the Soup views would: Directly by FID based on the tag information. Since your track ordering was playlist-based, it's not honored in any selection other than from the playlist.

What I can do is search for playlists, not source. That would have the correct order. Just tried that and it worked.

This is cool, glad you have a work around. Still begs the question, what's going to happen when we get to play the soup views from the main menu? My hope is that I will be able to get rid of all my artist/album playlists. But will all my albums suddenly play out of order, then?

#63139 - 25/01/2002 13:26 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: tfabris]
shawn
stranger

This is cool, glad you have a work around. Still begs the question, what's going to happen when we get to play the soup views from the main menu? My hope is that I will be able to get rid of all my artist/album playlists. But will all my albums suddenly play out of order, then?

Right now (I think this is in the FAQ), people order them so when they drag & drop into playlists, they'll be in the right order. I'd guess that the imported order would probably be maintained in the soup views. My problem was that my import order was reversed. If the inital ordering was determined not by import order, but, for example, tracknumber from ID3 tags, my problem would be gone. But its probably easier to fix the script I'm using to import in the album order. That and merge it with my hacked up Rio Receiver server scripts to keep playlists and such in sync between empeg and receiver. Another day, another day.

#63140 - 25/01/2002 18:06 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: shawn]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I love it. I just got referred to my own FAQ.

Life is cool, sometimes.

#63141 - 25/01/2002 18:35 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: tfabris]
shawn
stranger

I love it. I just got referred to my own FAQ.

I wasn't referring you to it. I know you wrote it. I've been lurking around here long enough to know that. It's just that I sorta remembered the whole naming & tagging before import to emplode thing, which affects the import order, etc.

Although, I did refer my father to it the other night for questions he has about his new player. He wondered why it isn't shipped with the player in the first place He's probably lurking around here somewhere as well.

#63142 - 25/01/2002 19:28 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: tfabris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

You wrote the faq? Well what do you want, a cookie? No but seriously, that must have been quite a task. Now I see why I was confused when I saw you once refer to the faq author as a 'knob'. That would also explain why you are always there to link people to the exact spot in the faq where they need to go. Good job.

Edited by Yz33d (25/01/2002 19:32)

#63143 - 25/01/2002 20:34 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: shawn]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
The soup views in the player software, if properly implemented won't care about imported order (nothing should care about that really). If you're playing something that is part of an "album" soup-match, I would hope it would play in TRACK order as determined by the track # tag (The track number database field from the imported ID3 tag anyway).

I don't think I'll be able to get rid of my artist/album structure when we get player-based soup views. You won't be able to navigate compilation albums in the same way you can if you make lists. Not without a special field in the player database for specifying an alternate criteria for compilations.

Bruno

#63144 - 25/01/2002 20:44 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks. Technically, I merely "assembled" the FAQ and rewrote the information in new wordings. This people on this BBS are the true authors of the FAQ.

Your profile images are cracking me up, by the way.

#63145 - 25/01/2002 20:49 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I would hope it would play in TRACK order as determined by the track # tag (The track number database field from the imported ID3 tag anyway).

But what if someone had an empeg full of songs without track number tags (like me) who didn't drop the albums in order onto the empeg and painstakingly re-ordered each one after the fact? Then, they would get the post-2.00-upgrade which enabled Soup views, and their albums would play out of order when they picked a Soup view. What will they do?

I assume, I suppose, that they could hand-enter the track number tag for each song on their player. This would be time consuming at best. I wonder if the empeg guys have anything to aid this process?

#63146 - 25/01/2002 21:48 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
With no database information to sort through for the soup playback, doing it by drag-order still makes little or no sense. Can I assume that this would be FID order? If so then you could sort that way in emplode to see what's going on, but normally you would get a view sorted by some other criteria.

Also, when dragging from explorer, chances are the files will be alphabetical, right? But you also probably know that when you drag a large selection from explorer they don't necessarily come to the host application in the same order (depending on how you selected and where you click when dragging).

Plus if you're doing the drags in multiple steps you'll probably want to do some type of post-ordering on the empeg anyway (at least in playlists). For soup views you'll truly be left with soup. The worst-tasting alphabet soup you've ever had. Everything will be a crazy jumble.

The most logical order to play things in soup views when you don't have additional db criteria is alphabetical. The same way the soup views themselves would be likely to be sorted/displayed.

The best way to number tracks in emplode is with something that Roger has mentioned a coupe of times before: Scripting support. Being able to select a large range of files in one of the emplode views and simply define a short command to apply to them. I'd hope some simple script commands would already be in emplode. Not to mention the ability to trade them here on the BBS.

BTW, if you don't have track numbers in your MP3s then I suggest you start tagging at rip-time and make sure that's one of the included fields. When making playlists it's much easier to manipulate the tracks when you have more data to work with.

Bruno

#63147 - 26/01/2002 11:36 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Also, when dragging from explorer, chances are the files will be alphabetical, right?

Right, but only if you used a recent version of Emplode to do it. I think it needed to be 1.03 or later for folder-alphabetical, and 2.0 or later for all-files alphabetical. I'm not certain. Prior to those versions, the files went into emplode in whatever order Explorer fed it to them. Which brings me to your next point...

But you also probably know that when you drag a large selection from explorer they don't necessarily come to the host application in the same order

Right. And back in the old days, before Emplode ordered the files alphabetically, you had to do this to get them to drop in the correct order. (In that post, the explorer selection order is de-mystified.)

The most logical order to play things in soup views when you don't have additional db criteria is alphabetical.

Agreed, because at that point the player has no other sorting criteria to go on.

I'm just hoping the post-2.00 emplode will give us some easy way to feed it another criteria for tunes that are already in the player.

#63148 - 28/01/2002 04:49 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: shawn]
peter
carpal tunnel

Not to go too off on a tangent, did the second remix set ever come out in the UK (with different tracks)?

Which second remix set? The only (non-bootleg) Orb albums I've got that could be described as remix sets are Aubrey Mixes: The Ultraworld Excursions, which, in a fit of market manipulation, was released and deleted on the same day in the UK, and The Orb Remix Project: Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond The Course Of Duty, which consists of Orb remixes of other bands' tracks.

And I think Live 93 is the only non-bootleg live album (oh, apart from the Peel sessions).

Peter

#63149 - 28/01/2002 12:18 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: peter]
shawn
stranger

The Orb Remix
Project: Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond The Course Of Duty, which consists of Orb remixes of other bands' tracks.

The discs you have came out on Deviant a couple years back, and had limited distribution. They've been re-released (unmixed, in stereo, not mono like the original) as
Volume 1 in the US. Supposedly the first volume was to be reissued in UK with a different list (sample clearances).

Now, there is volume 2 (US), which again, is different than the UK release,which was supposed to have about 6 additional mixes than the US (also cutting 4 or 5 from the US), again sample clearances. But, Amazon UK only shows the US one available as import. I had a complete tracklist for all four different editions somewhere...

More research finds out that it comes out today (Jan 28!) in the UK..

Here ya go, ripped from a website and mailing list:

Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond the Call of Duty - Volume 1 (US Version)
Supposedly corrects the 'mono problem' that the 1st version on Deviant had.
The booklet isn't as cool tho, actually nonexistent.

Disc: 1
1. Praying Mantra - Material
2. Democracy (The Russian Tundra Mix) - Killing Joke
3. Satellite Serenade (Trans Asian Express Mix) - Keiichi Suzuki
4. Lily Was Here (Space CentreMedical Hum) - David A Stewart
5. Ambient State - Readymade
6. So And Slow It Grows (The Orb In Atlas Mix) - Wire
7. Secret Squirrel - Yasuaki Shimizu

Disc: 2
1. You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess (Orb Goes The Weasel Mix) - Yello
2. Out Of Body (Logical Mix) - Innersphere
3. O'Locco (Orbital Therapy Part 1) - Sun Electric
4. Ploy (Battersea Was An Island Of Mud Mix) - Mauritzio
5. Men Of Wadodem (Orbital Mix) - Time Unlimited
6. Too Much (Start And Depart From Paradise Mix) - Paradise X
7. Home (Home Sweet Home Orb Remix) - Pop Will Eat Itself
8. Movin (Ambientappella Live Mix) - Marathon
9. Fast Forward The Future (Bucket And Bong Mix) - Zodiac Youth

Here is the 1st Deviant version's tracklisting, to compare:
Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond the Call of Duty - Volume 1 (UK, Deviant, 1st version)

[CD #1:]
17:05 Material: Mantra (praying mantra mix)
17:52 Killing Joke: Democracy (the russian tundra mix)
13:10 Keiichi Suzuki: Satellite Serenade (trans asian express)
7:18 Zodiac Youth: Fast Forward The Future (foxes glacier hints mix)
8:46 Primal Scream: Higher Than The Sun (higher than the kite)
0:49 Ready Made: Ambient State
6:57 Wir: So And Slow It Grows (orb in atlas mix)
7:47 Yasuaki Shimizu: Secret Squirrel (orbient mix)
[CD #2:]
12:58 Yello: Excess (the orb's hands on yello - long version)
4:25 Innersphere: Out of Body (log ital)
7:38 Depeche Mode: Happiest Girl (pulsating orbital vocal mix)
8:52 Erasure: Ship of Fools (orbital southsea isle of holy beats)
6:05 Sun Electric: O'Locco (orbital therapy part 1)
12:38 Maurizio: Ploy (battersea was an island of mud)
4:20 Time Unlimited: Men of Wadodem (orbital)
6:35 Paradise X: 2 Much (start & depart 2 paradise mix)
11:13 Pop Will Eat Itself: Home (sweet sin and salvation mix)
5:15 Love Kittens: What Goes On (orbient mix mk2)

Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond the Call of Duty - Volume 2 (US Version)

Disc: 1
1. Beams Of Light - Pato Banton
2. Miracle - System 7
3. Halleluwah - Can
4. Crystal Clear - The Grid
5. Radio Babylon - Meat Beat Manifesto
6. Towards The Evening Star - Tangerine Dream
7. Angel Art - Witchman
8. Sunset Gun - Damage Manual
9. Morocco Mole - Yasuaki Shimizu
10. The Reefer Song - Mindless Drug Hoover

Disc: 2
1. Time To Make You Mine - Lisa Stansfield
2. O Je Suis Seul - West India Company
3. Money - Fischerman's Friend
4. Superjack - Delkom
5. Red Summer - Sun Electric
6. Sunburst - System 7
7. Runaway - Rick Wright
8. Jo The Waiter - Tubeway Army
9. Music For A Sound Harmonium - Penguin Cafe Orchestra

Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond The Call Of Duty Part 2 Catalog #
ULT-CD-1093 (UK)
1. KLF 3 AM Eternal [Blue Danube Mix]
2. Wendy & Lisa Staring At The Sun [Re-Mix-In-A-Carnation]
3. The Grid Crystal Clear [Clear As An Unmuddied Lake Mix]
4. System 7 Sunburst
5. System 7 777
6. Penguin Cafe Orchestra Music For A Sound Harmonium
7. Lisa Stansfield Time To Make You Mine [In My Dreams Mix]
8. Primal Scream Higher Than The Sun [Higher Than The Orb Mix]
9. Blue Pearl Mother Dawn
10. B.A.D. II The Globe
11. Marathon Movin' [Orbital Ambientapella Mix]
12. West India Company O Je Suis Seul [Orient Express Mix]
13. The Cranberries Zombie [Camels Humpo Remix]
14. Nine Inch Nails Perfect Drug [22.8cm Screws Mix]
15. Tubeway Army Jo The Waiter
16. Art Of Noise Art Of Love
17. Oldfield Vs. The Orb Sentinel [Orbular Bells]
18. Pato Banton Beams of Light
19. Front 242 Crappage [Never Hurry A Murray Mix]
20. Sun Electric Red Summer [Orb Koskiewics Mix]
21. Dave Stewart Lilly Was Here [Space Medical Unit]
22. Can Halleluna [Halleluna Orbus II]
23. Mindless Drug Hoover The Reefer Song [Grass Garden of... Mix]
24. Witchman Angel Art

-sml

#63150 - 10/04/2002 08:18 Re: reverse order in playlists? [Re: shawn]
peter
carpal tunnel

Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond The Call Of Duty Part 2

Well, I finally got my hands on this, though the track listing is different again from those, see http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000631RL

IMO bits of it are good but none of it shares the genius of Aubrey 1 tracks such as "Happiest Girl" or "Excess". Now all we need is ID3 support good enough to capture the information "An Orb remix of a Robbie Williams cover of a Bee Gees song", although I guess if that track turned up in search results for Robbie Williams or Bee Gees you'd be pretty startled by it...

Peter