Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#77944 - 05/03/2002 16:29 Volume number sequence not allways the same
Diznario
enthusiast

Loc: Portland OR
For some strange reason, I have figured out that in my car, setting the volume to "24" is a good listening level. I kinda use that as my starting point, and go from there. Well, the funny thing is, "24" is not always an achievable level. Usually, the volume numbers in the mid 20s go up by one for each click, so it goes 25, 24, 23, etc. But, sometimes, the numbers are off by a half, so they go 25.5, 24.5, 23.5.

OK, so I admit, this IS NOT the highest priority bug in the world. In fact, I'm pretty damn sure it ain't even close.

But, it is something strange that I noticed, so I thought I'd mention it.

BTW, the fix for this that I found, is to scroll the volume all the way down to -oo, and then back up.

Oh yeah, 2.0b11, hijack two hundred and twenty something...

#77945 - 05/03/2002 21:18 Re: Volume number sequence not allways the same [Re: Diznario]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I have figured out that in my car, setting the volume to "24" is a good listening level.

I am guessing you really mean "-24dB".

If you have your gain on the empeg cranked down that low, then you probably have the gains on your amplifiers cranked up too high.

You might be able to get significantly better sound quality by turning down the amps, and turning up the empeg. Optimum listening level on the empeg is at 0dB. Set your amp gains so the music is as loud as you will ever want it with the empeg at 0, and you will get the best possible sound quality.

tanstaafl.

#77946 - 05/03/2002 21:41 Re: Volume number sequence not allways the same [Re: tanstaafl.]
Diznario
enthusiast

Loc: Portland OR
Ahh yes, -24db. That is what I meant.

As far as the listening level goes, I use 24 as a sort of a nice, mellow, any passenger can handle it fine, and it dosen't get in the way of a conversation kinda thing. It's a nice balanced point somewhere in the middle.

It is by no means as high as I go...

#77947 - 06/03/2002 03:17 Re: Volume number sequence not allways the same [Re: Diznario]
BryanR

Loc: Berkshire, UK
I've noticed this, too. It seems to start happening when I set the volume to 0db in the car (which happens rarely, mainly when I'm listening to something quiet on the radio). When the volume is reduced again it's in 1db steps, but on the halves. As you mentioned, reducing the volume to the minimum then increasing again changes it back to stepping on the integer values.

I first noticed that the volume increments had changed with the first public version 2 release - it used to step in half db increments in the 0 to -20db range in version 1, didn't it? I haven't noticed any threads on this subject, nor does it bother me, so I've not mentioned it myself before today.

Bryan.

#77948 - 06/06/2002 18:26 Re: Volume number sequence not allways the same [Re: tanstaafl.]
az_max
new poster

I've noticed problems with the volume control since I updated to Beta11 as well. the volume control doesn't seem as smooth as it was before. I get the fractions too.

My system is setup so that at 0db the amplifiers are just below clipping, as noted on an O-Scope, using IASCA Autosound 2000 320k MP3 files.. This typically means my 'Alone' listening level is mid -20db's, 'G/F in car' level is mid 30's. EQ is set flat for most MP3s. Anything greater than 20db results in me not being able to see out my mirrors and a nice back massage

#77949 - 07/06/2002 03:51 Re: Volume number sequence not allways the same [Re: az_max]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

This is not quite a bug, but a bug fix...

A while back, there was a change put in on debouncing the knob input. The debounce logic was too sensitive and the controls were going all over the place. If I remember correctly, it was because of changes over time to the pot on the knob itself...

To fix this, the debounce was changed. The upshot of this is that the volume is actually changing by two steps with each input (the knob or the remote generate the same IR stream), not one step. Most of the time.... Very rarely, you will get an odd number of steps, changing from the comfortable even numbers (-24db) to the halves (-24.5db). Frustrating - I like needless precision, and the 0.5 is always annoying. I twiddle with it until I get it back into the even steps.

Did a bit of searching on the BBS, and it looks like the debounce was modified as part of that fix. Perhaps it is a little too sensitive? It also happened in 2.0b3. If anyone feels like downgrading to 1.3 and seeing if the problem goes away... : )

Edited by pgrzelak (07/06/2002 04:07)

#77950 - 07/06/2002 09:07 Re: Volume number sequence not allways the same [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Very rarely, you will get an odd number of steps, changing from the comfortable even numbers (-24db) to the halves (-24.5db). Frustrating

This particular thing (scale changing after reaching an end-stop), is, I believe, a known bug that's already fixed in the internal builds.

#77951 - 07/06/2002 10:33 Re: Volume number sequence not allways the same [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Cool! FITNR!