Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#104556 - 11/07/2002 11:06 Search (PIN) insert mode does not work, replaces
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I have PINs set on a few specific tracks. Normally, I keep my search function set to "insert", so that it drops the result after the current track. When performing a search based on PIN, instead of doing an "insert", it does a "replace". v2.0b11, Hijack 276.

#104557 - 11/07/2002 11:41 Re: Search (PIN) insert mode does not work, replaces [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think this is designed to work that way. Since there's no on-screen indication of the replace/insert/append mode when the PIN box is up. Same for the Year box.

Perhaps they could change this so that the Select Mode button works for that screen, too, and a "Mode=Insert" indicator could be up on the screen at the same time as the PIN and Year boxes.

Hey, that could be really interesting. Because that would add a level of self-documenting user instruction at that point. If the user sees (more clearly because of more available screen real estate) the mode on the screen at the first press, and also the word "Mode=", then he'll know that the "select mode" button is what changes it, and he'll have more of a chance to understand the insert/replace/append stuff without having to have it explained to him.

Hmm, I like this idea.

#104558 - 11/07/2002 19:10 Re: Search (PIN) insert mode does not work, replaces [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I think this is designed to work that way.

I agree that it was probably not intended to be selectable, but I disagree with that feature (unless there is a really good reason behind it). There should be no reason that two of the search functions are limited, while the others are not. Even if there was no UI to change it, it should still default to whatever was set for the other search functions.

a "Mode=Insert" indicator could be up on the screen at the same time

Hmm... Depends on implementation. Given that the PIN and Year boxes are pop-ups, overlaying the existing screen text or visual, I do not know if they would be able to do that without rewriting that UI section completely.

a level of self-documenting user instruction . . . I like this idea

I do too. My concern is that it might be a more significant UI change, and unlikely to happen in the imminent future. I fear that this falls into the "that's not a bug, that's a feature" category. At least for the documentation and selection part. I still feel it is a bug from the standpoint of not matching the current select mode used in the other searchs.