Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#9800 - 24/06/2000 13:46 Beta 11 comments
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have to admit that I never tried beta11pre, so forgive me if these are coming in late. When beta11pre came out I had a long trip to take and wanted to make sure the unit worked for that trip. Anyway, now that I'm running it...

- Hula Hoops. The crashing bug really seems to be fixed. I can run my frequency-sweep files on it and it seems to work. You should put that in your release notes.

- Now and Next: It's only showing four songs now instead of five. Deliberate?

- I'm running the 10a kernel with a Bobo-modified startup screen. This upgrade didn't touch it. Is that OK?

- Rjlov: How about a beta11 version of your volume adjustment software to try out?

#9801 - 25/06/2000 01:26 Re: Beta 11 comments [Re: tfabris]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I'm running the 10a kernel with a Bobo-modified startup screen. This upgrade didn't touch it. Is that OK?

Ah, which means that anyone upgrading from beta10a to beta11 without going through the IR fix kernel will still have "dodgy" IR.

I've developer a new build system so that making releases is a lot more automatic. It appears that it doesn't handle the kernel correctly. I'll try and fix this but I suspect that more bugs will be found to warrant a beta11a early next week.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#9802 - 25/06/2000 19:25 Re: Beta 11 comments [Re: mac]
xavyer

... anyone upgrading from beta10a to beta11 without going through the IR fix kernel will still have "dodgy" IR.

I must have missed the 'IR fix', because it's definitely 'dodgy'. Can I jump back to b10a, and then install the 'button fix', 'IR fix', and then go to b11? By the way, where can one find the IR fix? (is it in that 'secret-squirrel decoder ring required' directory on the old web site?)

#9803 - 26/06/2000 02:07 Re: Beta 11 comments [Re: xavyer]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
It's at http://www2.empeg.com/upgrades/test/interim/

It's not worth me putting it on the new website 'cos I expect beta11a will be out soon.

I _believe_ that you should just be able to apply it to beta11 since it only contains a kernel and that's what I missed from beta11. If you have any trouble apply beta11 again afterwards.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#9804 - 26/06/2000 08:46 Re: Beta 11 comments [Re: mac]
xavyer

Hmmmm ..... now I'm confused .... just downloaded the 'buttonfix3.upgrade'; comparing it to the one that i downloaded a while ago, there doesn't seem to be any difference. So .... let me back up here a moment and say that the last few upgrades have been like b10a -> buttonfix3 -> b11pre -> b11. The IR had been working nicely until b11; which the really noticeable thing is volume up/down fast forward/rewind are not as responsive as I remember earlier versions. Probably just 'yet another moment of cluelessness' on my part.

#9805 - 26/06/2000 08:53 Re: Beta 11 comments [Re: xavyer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I think what mac is talking about is the bugfix to the old "runaway" bug, which I think is what "buttonfix" was supposed to take care of.

Beta 11 is a different piece of player software, and the volume speed was altered in that release. That's what you're noticing. It's unrelated to the buttonfix upgrade. So if you already applied buttonfix, then you're already properly upgraded and don't need to worry.

Until now, I wasn't going to mention the change in volume speed. No need to throw gasoline on a fire.

Hey, Mike. Since I'm running the 10a non-buttonfix kernel at the moment, are there any other potential problems between having a 10a kernel cohabitating with an 11 player?

#9806 - 26/06/2000 09:00 Re: Beta 11 comments [Re: tfabris]
xavyer

Erm ... it's not just the volume. The fast forward/rewind function also, appears to be affected as well; however, if it's a political issue and not a technical one ... nevermind.

#9807 - 26/06/2000 09:20 Re: Beta 11 comments [Re: xavyer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

however, if it's a political issue and not a technical one ... nevermind.

Heh, no, it's not political. It's just that once upon a time, some users complained that the volume was too slow. So they sped it up. Then some users complained that the volume was too fast (in some cases, the same users, as I recall). I think the pendulum simply swung the other way with this last release.

#9808 - 26/06/2000 10:02 Re: Beta 11 comments [Re: tfabris]
xavyer

I think the pendulum simply swung the other way with this last release.

In which case, I would guess that this all falls into the 'nevermind' bucket.

Could the fast forward/rewind 'dodgy'-ness have something to do with a VBR mp3? I vaguely recall that there was an issue with fast forwarding through a VBR mp3, but it's been a long time since that was mentioned. I assumed that issue (if it was an issue) had been resolved, but there in lies the problem ... 'assume'.

#9809 - 26/06/2000 10:07 Re: Beta 11 comments [Re: xavyer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Could the fast forward/rewind 'dodgy'-ness have something to do with a VBR mp3?

Yes, absolutely. There are problems with FF/REW in VBR MP3 files. I'd say this was another one for the "nevermind" bucket, but there's the issue of, a while ago, one the Empeg guys (was it Hugo?) saying something to the effect of "VBR files are now under control" or something like that. This statement was made a while ago, so I assumed this fix would be in beta 11. But I've had trouble doing FF/REW in VBR files since installing 11. So, um, Mike, what's up with that?