Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#29266 - 08/04/2001 17:22 size limit on playlists?
pim
addict

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands
I'm not sure whether this is a bug or whether I made some mistake upgrading my harddisks. But this is what's happened:

Now that I have two IBM travelstar 30 GB drives, my Mk2 won't remember where it was if I play the root playlist and reboot.

My root playlist contains 11447 songs, 9265 unique. Any other sub-playlist will continue to play after a next boot. But the root playlist will start with "end of playlist" the next time I cold-boot the empeg. It does not matter whether the Empeg is powered by the car or by the adapter. In the car, it is enough to do a full shutdown, without touching the ignition key, to make the Empeg forget, so I don't think it's an electrical problem, like the "thumb" problem that was fixed by the diode I happily received from Empeg support.

My hunch is that I hit some size limit in the player software.
Any other ideas?

#29267 - 09/04/2001 02:59 Re: size limit on playlists? [Re: pim]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
My hunch is that I hit some size limit in the player software.

9,362 (a bit less if you've got duplicates).

Sorry about that.

We intend to put a bigger limit in 1.1 before release.

Peter

#29268 - 09/04/2001 09:49 Re: size limit on playlists? [Re: peter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wow, I didn't know this.

Question: Why does there need to be a limit at all? Isn't there a way to dynamically allocate that sort of thing?

#29269 - 09/04/2001 10:08 Re: size limit on playlists? [Re: tfabris]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Why does there need to be a limit at all? Isn't there a way to dynamically allocate that sort of thing?

The limit isn't on the size of playlist you can play, it's on the size of playlist you can remember and restore over a power-off. The player uses a special disk partition for this kind of data: one without a filesystem on, one which is read and written directly at the sector level.

Because there is no filesystem on this "dynamic data" partition, the allocations to various uses (bookmarks, playcount etc. live on there too) are fixed. And the allocation for remembered playlists is simply too small.

The reason there's no filesystem, is to avoid the chance of the whole lot getting hosed in the case of power failure: the dynamic data partition, unlike the music or root partitions, is rewritten at arbitrary times in-car, and so we must cope with power fails at any moment.

Peter

#29270 - 09/04/2001 20:20 Re: size limit on playlists? [Re: peter]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
That is truly amazing!!!!

You guys really thought of everything