Hi.

I have read some recent posts about memory board with a sinking feeling. As a result, I'd like to present the following:

1) The memory board install IS NOT TRIVIAL! Don't think that you can just drop it on and whip it off unscathed. Once it's on, it's pretty much on for good. Work on this basis, and leave removing it as the absolute LAST resort. As a few unfortunates have proven, if you take it off you stand an excellent chance of irretrievably damaging the empeg motherboard. It says as much in the first paragraph of the manual, but I fear some people may not be paying as much attention to this warning as they might.

2) Be very careful when soldering the test points down, and use lots of flux. You MUST NOT press too hard with the soldering iron when attaching the holes to the test pads, or you may loosen or damage the pad itself. If you do this, not only will it possibly make the install fail, but it's much more likely the pad will lift if the board does need to be removed.

3) Make sure the extra power wires have been attached, and attached correctly.

4) If it doesn't immediately work, DON'T PANIC! You shouldn't immediately assume the install was incorrect. I would suggest the first thing to do is to check continuity through the dip switches. I have seen these fail on occasion in the past, and if one is not working correctly you will have a RAS line disconnected, which will disable an entire 16MB bank of ram. Also check that any patch wires from the processor to the memory board (again, RAS lines) are actually connected to the correct pads.

5) If it still doesn't work, DON'T attempt to remove it, before contacting someone who may be able to suggest other tests. IE, use the BBS, Luke.

6) Worst case, if it doesn't work and can't be made to work, it's better to leave the board in place. Unless it's causing the player not to run at all, it could safely be left fitted rather than risk writing off the empeg by removing it. If it does need to be removed, find someone who can do it properly.

Please note, I'm not trying to be insulting or patronising in any way. I want everyone to get the best out of the boards they, in many cases, waited so patiently for, and I don't like to see anyone either out of pocket or unhappy.

pca