Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#234042 - 20/09/2004 05:58 Buttons - Pre-prototype parts pictures
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Hey all, maybe this can light up your Monday morning. I received these pre-prototype buttons from a potential molding company on Friday (and it was hard to resist posting these sooner).

They were done using SLA (Stereolithography Apparatus) which is like a 3D printer. They were created from liquid plastic one layer at a time by a laser. When completed, they were given some dye, which the material soaks right up.

The color is pretty accurate and the tiny details are very well reproduced. Though the molding company was offering this as a potential production method, it won't work because the parts seem fragile, the texture is chalky, the difussion isn't too great, and (oddly) the large features of the buttons are a little off. This company has a few other methods which I will explore with them.

So, this isn't much to look at, but it's proof of momentium. I have some quotes, there are more on the way, and I should be choosing a caster within the next two weeks. Then, give it 4 to 8 weeks for production (and extra time, because it's always necessary) and we're looking at having these things reasonably in December. Christmas present to yourself? They don't come in red and green for nothing!

If you want to give input on the cost for these, check out the Cost Poll. Also, all feedback is welcome anytime. Keep your fingers crossed, we're getting there.

Oh, and that's a Filener raised panel Amber lens. The goal is to match the buttons to his lenses (except blue) since they are the ones currently available. And yes, that is a MKII knob on a MKIIa, shaft buffered with a thin coil of paper (because it was a bit too wide... odd). Enjoy.

Attachments
233166-lit.jpg (127 downloads)

#234043 - 20/09/2004 11:17 Re: Buttons - Pre-prototype parts pictures [Re: FireFox31]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Way cool!

The shaft size thing is going to (eventually) happen to all molded Mk2a buttons anyway, unless they are molded with space for the spring clip. I'd suggest not worrying about that - once the button works loose a thin layer of hot glue or silicone on the flat part of the button will restore the friction fit nicely.

#234044 - 20/09/2004 12:00 Re: Buttons - Pre-prototype parts pictures [Re: FireFox31]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The light difusion on the knob looks better than any previous attempts. And the buttons also look as good or better than the earlier runs. No guarantee that a change in production process would give the same results, though.

Let's not be too fussy about details -- raises cost and ire of the molders!

#234045 - 20/09/2004 12:15 Re: Buttons - Pre-prototype parts pictures [Re: mlord]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Let's not be too fussy about details -- raises cost and ire of the molders!

SLA is no good for production - it's way too fragile. The original buttons (and the entire fascia set) were prototyped in SLA but they wouldn't last long in the field. SLA is primarily used for checking fit and reviewing designs before committing to tooling.

Rob

#234046 - 21/09/2004 00:09 Re: Buttons - Pre-prototype parts pictures [Re: rob]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Right, SLA will never last. I think I already broke the top button after only a handfull of presses.

The photos flatter the buttons; their difussion is less than I expected. Mainly on the buttons, because the light is only filing the empty space inside the button. It doesn't seem to work its way into the plastic itself, which might be resolved by trying filled-core buttons like Stu. But that will be tough, I think.

The knob looks bad becuase it's MKII on a MKIIa, so it's quite a distance away from the LEDs. So, that's ultimately no big deal for now.

This is just a taste, it'll be a lot more exciting to see the first tool-molded samples! Just a few more months...

#234047 - 21/09/2004 00:11 Re: Buttons - Pre-prototype parts pictures [Re: FireFox31]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Very, very nice!

#234048 - 22/09/2004 00:36 Re: Buttons - Pre-prototype parts pictures [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

After my first night drive with these things, I have to say that I'm very excited about the lit buttons. I didn't have to fumble around for the volume knob or the pause button. They were just right there. And they added to the (somewhat overpowering) glow that's cast on my car's interior from that little empeg.

Oh, and the top button's not broken; just put on 90 degrees wrong. MKII -> MKIIa knob "conversion" made better by "extending the shaft" and "emulating the key" with some wads of paper. Quality.

Now, why haven't I heard back from those 10 molding companies yet this week... Maybe tomorrow or the next day.