Hmmm... The serial commands all now are very similar to remote commands, but not as complete (i think). I havn't messed with them at all yet. What Tony is talking about isn't actually serial commands but Hijack macros, i think, which aren't quite the same and have different timing aspects.

My idea was that it would be nice to be able to access the whole menu structure through external commands fairly easily and indepently of what is actualy on the screen at the time.

An example of this is hijack's restore visuals which causes the menus to display on screen, and doesn't always work quite right. (i don't usualy use it, so i've only not had it work once, but...). Or if the web interface wanted to be able to append a song, it perhaps could understand out magic-number-function which created these on the fly serial commands, and know what the command for append would be relative to the FID...

I'll perhaps have a go at thinking about a nice algorithm for specifying the nodes of the tree, as my brain is turning to jell-o while i'm on summer break.

Matthew