Something I failed to mention about the movie, oddly, since it's one of my biggest problems with it, is that the plot fails to hold water. In fact, it wouldn't hold a dump truck, IMO.

The only way for Anderton to meet Crow is for him to be told about him. The only way he'll be told about him is through the precogs (since no one else is going to tell him, since that would make the huge conspiracy not work). This establishes a paradox, but the simplest thing is that if they don't tell him, it won't happen. And confabulation doesn't seem to be in their nature.

Note that this particular chain of events does not happen in the short story. There is, however, a somewhat similar chain of events, and it's completely waterproof. When I initially read it years ago, I remember thinking to myself that there was no way that it could possibly make sense. So I went over it time and again. There are no holes in Dick's entire plot. It's absolutely perfect. It's phenomenal. (Which leads me back to why they changed it.) There are not even any outlandish absurdities that are so common in this sort of story of paranoia.

Edit: And let's not forget the fact that he's been convicted of future murder, yet no one bothered to revoke his clearance at the police station. In addition, they immediately notice when he's been ID'd on the Metro, but not when he scans to come into the building. It's like the screenwriters weren't even trying.

BTW, sorry about all the obsessing.

Edited by wfaulk (03/07/2002 10:36)