In reply to:

What, are you saying they made him a cockney when they showed it in the US?

Yes. One would assume that it might have had to do with negative Italian stereotypes, but it was the mid 80s (right?), and PC wasn't in full force back, so who knows?

i found this in a website talking about DangerMouse:

"Stilletto, in the original episodes that aired in England, had an Italian accent, but Nick viewed it as being politically incorrect, and in the American episodes he has a Cockney accent."

When The Cartoon Network started to show Looney Tunes they would never show any of the Speedy Gonzalez episodes. The network felt that Speedy's buddies who were always drunk and napping portrayed Mexicans in a poor light, so they just chose not to show them. A few months ago I was reading FoxNews.com and there was an article write up on this fact which sent off a big letter writing campaign to the Cartoon Network until they gave in and showed a few Speedy cartoons. Since they showed a few I think the fuss has died down and things are back to the way they were and no Speedy is being shown. Seems to me that people have way too much time on their hands and need to get a life... wait a sec, I'm ordering DangerMouse on DVD

/me thinks I'm one of them
[blue]fitter, happier, more productive[/blue]