In reply to:

You can't do visuals on the display. It only lets you display text. There isn't any way of directly addressing the individual pixels on the display. The only graphics displayable is whatever is built into the firmware.

The baud rate of the display is quite low so even if you did rewrite the firmware to allow you to use it as a graphical display the refresh rate would be very low.

Finding out what is playing is easy enough if you've got Hijack installed. If you're fine with just a slave display that lets you go back and forward between songs and possibly a few other functions then it would be perfect.

Aah, okay. I just started reading the manual (hey, it's a slow day at work..)

I'd like to do this, for several reasons.. (Mainly just to see if I can. My C is limited, but I'm learning, slowly.)

The only thing that scares me is this line from the manual:
In reply to:

The format of the serial line is RS232, 19200 baud 8N2 (8 bit, no parity, 2 stop bit). Contrary to the standard RS232 we apply a 5V signal level, in inactive (logical 0) state the line level is 5V, in active (logical 1) state 0V.

like the manual says, isn';t this 'reversed'? (i.e. ON should be HIGH, OFF should be LOW.)

I'm not a hardware guy (databases, my speciality.), so does this make the whole thing a moot point?

Me.