> The main hindrence is the storage medium. Something as good as or better than Ipod's hard drives needs to be found.

Well there is the 4GB microdrives that Dignan17 brought up the other day, and the CF solid state 1GB cards, but after having my 60Gig Empeg, even the 20GB that 1.8 drives gives me is going to seem a tad constraining (and pgrzelak is going to be SOL for a long time. ). I think any iPod killer is going to have to stick with those drives for the foreseeable future.

I can't be sure, but I think Apple is making a killing off every iPod it sells, considering you can now get a 20G Riot for less than half the price of a same-sized iPod. Of course, Toshiba does not release pricing of their 1.8inch drives anywhere AFAIK, so you can't really know, but given Apple's history I would suspect that they are charging quite a bit more than it needs to be. Any iPod killer would be a good thing because it would force Apple's prices down. Of course, one with a cool interface put together by a certain group of people in England would be ideal.