Our technology and wealth of our economy would be a little weaker if that millionaire hadn't invented that new product or provided that service or whatever for the consumers. So when he wants to burn a few barrels of oil, I'd say he deserves it.

Oh, I'm not saying he shouldn't have become a millionaire -- that really would be China time. I'm just saying that, because his economic clout is much larger than ours, he shouldn't be careless about his impact on the world -- indeed, if anything, he should be more careful.

But I guess it's more of I haven't been convinced that there is an urgent shortage of oil. Some people say we're gonna run out any day now and some say we've only used up 15%, but I don't think anyone really knows for sure.

True, no-one knows for sure, though I'd like to see where the study that produced the 15% figure got its funding. But if there's no shortage of oil, why are your compatriots and mine being sent to fight a war over control of it?

Corporations have billions of dollars invested in oil-dependant machines, automobiles, planes, etc. When they start getting worried, I'll start getting worried.

The same timescale issue applies here, I think: as a 31-year-old, an oil shortage in 44 years' time is very much on my radar. 44 years is an order of magnitude longer than what most corporations would call the ultra long term. Or, more shortly: humans have to worry about stuff on much longer timescales than corporations (or politicians).

So yes, if oil becomes rare and our way of life depends on it (in other words, there aren't any reasonable and feasible alternatives to the oil), then we should all conserve it for the sake of everyone, no matter how rich you are, because in that situation the oil becomes priceless.

I think we're sort of on the same page on this one, I'm just a bit more wary of assuming that everything's going to be okay just because it looks okay right now.

Peter