I think the only major hurdle left to overcome is the fact that if you execute a program from the music partition, the partition is considered "busy" and can't be unmounted/remounted, thus screwing up synchs and causing the drive to need to be FSCK'd.
It would certainly be great if we could fix that issue, but it really isn't what's holding us back from implementing a solid application delivery system.[1]

Yes, that's a technical issue that would be nice to have a solution to, but the real reason this doesn't functionality doesn't exist yet (either as a stand alone program, or as part of JEmplode) no one has had the time to implement it yet. Just because it appears easy (for someone with the time and technical knowledge necessary) to install the available applications, doesn't mean it is "trivial" for someone to write a fully-featured system with a decent user interface to automate the process. I'm not saying that this application is all that difficult to create, but it takes a lot more effort than you would think.

I talked with Mike via PMs a few weeks ago, and we both agreed that this is something we'd very much like to see completed, especially given the support that people here have given it.[2] Unfortunately, we both had several other projects "on our plates" and that is essentially still the case for me. I'd still very much like to see this get done, and if no one else takes this up in the mean time I will eventually get to it.

But, regretfully, this project is still in the idea phase as far as I know.

John

[1] For example, to work around the problem, a package format like that attached to my first post above can allow for the author of an empeg program to specify an installation on the root partition, or even better, to specify a list of choice options such as whether to 1) install on the music partition with a DC macro or 2) on the root partition without a DC macro. (Of course, written with having the user having to understand what that means, and having options to override those options.)

[2] While we're talking about things that would be nice to have, I would also very much like to see a MENU_EXEC option. Not that there's anything wrong with siberia37's launcher (I think it's great) but now that hijack has the code to start programs, I think hijack is the right (and cleanest) place for this code.