Automatic, or even well-informed manual, EQ would be a killer feature.
You're telling me. I'd love to see this happen.

If this goes forward, there's a lot of things we need to keep in mind. Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head...

- The killer app would of course be fully automatic operation. Press a button, step out of the car for a few minutes, and it will EQ your system and write the results to one of the EQ slots on the scratch partition (since we've reverse-engineered that file format, right? ).

- A perfectly flat frequency response sounds awful. So if we actually can get to a fully automatic version, then we'd need to build in an optional "smiley" curve to it. Perhaps have more than one selectable smiley to cater to various tastes.

- Something I discovered when working with SpectraLAB might be worth mentioning: Standing waves where the front and rear speaker soundwaves overlap. Hard to explain in words, but basically what I'm saying is that there will be peaks and valleys in the sampled frequency response, and those peaks and valleys will change depending on where you move the microphone in the car (forward or back). So there might be some merit to having an automated system average two separate passes, once with the fader cranked forward, and once with the fader cranked backward. Of course, that wouldn't work in my car since I wired the subwoofer to the rear outputs, so it would have to be optional.