As a further tangent, does anyone else HATE the new headlights that are starting to show up on these high-end cars?

I haven't been bothered by those HID lights in oncoming cars where they come factory-installed (so far as I could tell....Audis and such where HID is a common option). I have been somewhat unenthused by HID-equipped SUVs in my rear-view mirrors.

The big-problem, IMO, is aftermarket installs. Some of these just add HID lights (and the required ballast hardware) to stock light housings, so the lateral distribution *meant* for stock, wimpy bulbs is given to more powerful HID bulbs.

Worst, and really bad, is folks taking headlamp kits from RHD markets and popping them in the equivalent LHD cars. This is popular with WRXs where "JDM" (Japanese domestic market) headlamp kits are available. This essentailly means throwing *more* light across the centerline at oncoming traffic. Not DOT-legal and bustable, but doubt many folks get the tickets they should for this. If you encountered a *really* bad set of headlamps, it could have been one of these.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.