I used cdparanoia, which is about as good as it gets. Still, if your CD-ROM sucks (mine is a generic "40x" drive), the best paranoia in the world won't perfectly solve the problem. There seems to be some agreement that higher-end drives like the Plextor completely solve the problem (and run dramatically faster as well).

Sometimes it pays to shop around and try different rippers with your CD drive. I've got a particular drive on my NT box at work which flatly refuses to work properly with any software other than WinDAC32, and I've tried several.

And if you're in the market for new drives, may I suggest the new Ricoh drive which is a CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-ROM all rolled into one. I am very pleased with it. On my home system, it does a fantastic ripping job, very fast and error-free. I am able to use its bundled Adaptec EasyCD Creator program to extract audio tracks from it while doing other stuff in the foreground, and haven't had an error yet. Plus, it runs all the new game CDs quite well (my previous drive had trouble with some of the new copy protection schemes), and plays great movies.