Ok Tony, here's a new version. It looks sort of like a disk-defragmenter, but I suppose that's going to be best for what you're trying to see. Anyhow, I've color-coded the albums (with up to 6 distinct colors) so you can see artist combs and album combs. To help the eye I wrote an "outline" around combed albums/ artists, which you can switch between the album and artist via a checkbox. I added "find album comb" and "find artist comb" buttons to find the artist/ album with the most combs (a comb defined as a “run of songs separated by no more than 10 other tracks”). The "find artist" button is now automatically called after pushing the "Go" button. I decided not to put a scroll bar in, but you can re-size the blocks to make them all visible with a zoom in and zoom out feature.

Clearly, there is some combing in all random selections. What I'm not sure is if the amount of combing showing up in my program is the same as on the Empeg. It's hard to tell because ultimately we are perceiving this data in a different way than listening through the playlists. But here you have it anyway.

Attachments
164199-RandomNumbers.exe (112 downloads)

Edited by FerretBoy (16/06/2003 09:05)