Tony: If, after reinstalling the stock Kernel, Doug gets an AC-mode boot in his car, I hope he will come here and let us know.

My bootup (with the stock kernal) works perfectly: in-car it boots to DC mode (with fader, without default visuals, etc.) 100.0% of the time. On my desk, it boots to AC mode (without fader, with visuals, etc.) 100.0% of the time. Nothing intermittant.

Mark: What's on the serial port in the car?

Nothing. It is a pretty basic (but very high sound quality) installation: Just the empeg and a Clarion CD player feeding a Sony XA-39 switch, into two amplifiers and a dozen speakers on 10 separate audio channels, each channel pair with remote gain control, and a pair of 30-band EQT equalizers... well, I guess it isn't all that basic now that I think about it. But the point is, it is nothing but an audio system: no GPS, no third party apps or games, just a music player.

Tony: If Mark compiled you a special Hijack that didn't do the dock detection, would you be willing to install it and test it for him?

Sure. It only takes a few moments to do the kernal installation, and I can always revert back to the stock kernal.

Oh, and BTW, I should have mentioned this in my original post, I am running v.2.0 final player software and emplode.

tanstaafl.