Greetings!

Let's see...

Go man Go! To the moooooon!

How on earth do you store your CD collection?

I use four DJ Cases from Univenture. They work great, are perfect for permanent storage and are still vaguely portable when needed. As for the jewel boxes, my recycler was happy to take some, and (when I set them out over a few recycle pickups) found that someone decided to help themselves to some jewel boxes as well during the night.

...would only come out to about 2,256 CDs...

In my case, a bit less. Some audio books were downloaded and are only a handful of tracks. Some CD audio book vendors are insane and put 99 tracks on each CD to allegedly "make it easier to find your place". It averages out.

...vinyl...

What's that??? Just kidding. All of my rare or irreplacable vinyl I converted to CD (and then subsequently ripped / encoded) long ago. I only kept the really exotic vinyl, so that is only about a dozen or so records.

...how he pays for it all ...

Ah... I was very fortunate in my youth. Or, more precisely, when I was in college. I managed under a series of circumstances to arrange to be a full time, on campus graduate student; a full time teaching assisted; and a full time employee for a major Telegraph company simultaneously! The teaching job paid for my tuition, room and board, and everything from the other job was free and clear! For that brief time, I lived like a king - compared to most college students anyway...

Different priorities. Some people drink. Some people smoke. Some people have social lives. As an anti-social hermit, I can redirect my resources elsewhere...

...You've got me worried now...

It may have been a coincidence. I will try to find out with a bit more experimentation. Also, I have deleted a bunch of tracks with this sync (replacing some with better bit rates). It may be that my high fid number may have been higher.

Hmm... This does appear to be the case. I am playing around with the players and rsync right now. My highest fid is "73EF" - or 29679. I guess the various playlist hierarchy reads a bit differently from the total tracks. So, I am well over the danger level. I need to get another few audio books though - I want to break the 30000 barrier. Maybe when Harry Potter 6 comes out...

I wonder if Hugo ever imagined that the empegCar would ever see a FID count over 30000...