Installing my new amp got rid of my constant alternator whine, and replaced it with an intermitent noise issues... In addition to installing a new 4-channel amp, I also put in a 1 farrad capacitor.

The first time we fired the system up, I heard weird noise as the empeg booted up. It was as I could hear the empeg accessing data on its hard drives. Once the system was on however, it seemed to be fine...

But now, my system goes from being noisy (picking up alternator whine and "bus" or "drive" noise) to being sound free. I'm still in the process of tweaking the gain on the amp, so I'm not sure if that's an issue. Also, this might be coincidence, but it seemed as if noise was not an issue if the car was running for a while before popping in the empeg. Maybe the capacitor being charged prior to booting the empeg makes a difference?

I'm still trouble shooing this, so I'll post more as I find it out, but I've never had noise that wasn't alternator whine, so I really don't know what's up.

Other issues: I get the battery icon and occationally the player will reboot itself while playing. My car has one of those aftermarket power pulleys that sends less power to the AC compressor and alternator. That may have made things worse.