Okay... getting weirder!

1. I got in the car, turned the key to Acc. and started the player up. NOISE (like a modem hearing the empeg do its thing).

2. Started the car. NOISE.

3. Allowed car to run for awhile (perhaps to let the alternator charge the capacitor). NOISE.

4. By-passed capacitor. NOISE.

5. Turned off car. (No need to charge the Capacitor anymore). NOISE.

6. Re-crimped empeg's ground connector at battery (what the hell, why not?). NOISE.

7. Laid self in front of car and released parking brake. NOISE.

8. Un-plugged both RCA's to 4-ch. amp. NO-NOISE.

9. Plugged in only rear RCA's. NO-NOISE. (got a big THUMP because I left everything hooked up and turned on).

10. Plugged in fronts (and rears) NO-NOISE. (Huh? didn't this combo give me noise just a few moments ago??)

11. Re-connected capacitor. NO-NOISE.

12. I then did a combo of pulling the player from the sled, turning the car on and off a bunch just for the hell of it - NO NOISE.

At this point, I don't get it. Maybe that "thump" from the RCA's getting plugged into a live amp gave the system the slap upside its head that it had coming to it! I also have a gut feeling that if I go out to the car tomorrow morning, I'll be back to NOISE.

Here's one thing, I don't think that my low power issue has anything to do with my noise. After I turned the car off, the player started giving the battery icon a bunch of times and my annoying "self-reboot" - a sure sign that the battery was getting low from the audio testing. Yet, as time went on, the noise went away.. So low power didn't add to my problem.

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (05/11/2003 21:06)