That is most likely a bug in my documentation. Sorry, I had changed the global configuration file location near release and forgot to update the docs. The new location is in /drive0/squash/squash.conf . The reason I changed it was so that you would have one less reason to make the root partition read-write.

I hope that clears up the segfault (which is kind of scary that it even does that, I wouldn't think so). I can't test things out right now, because I'm about 3,000 miles away from my car.

Gosh, that's a big mistake on my part in fact! I'm going to change the code right now and at least update the CVS copy of the docs.

Btw, the ~/squash_control is the default value of the control location. And if you get squash reading your new config file, it shouldn't try to read the control file there. Also, I had problems with the word_exp routine expanding ~'s on the empeg/arm environment, so I don't even bother trying. (So that is to say, on a linux pc the error message would have said '/home/gryn/.squash_control'. And that the empeg version doesn't even support expanding ~'s at all).

Thanks for the feedback.