Hi. My players sitting kind of idle right now, and is only using 16GB out of the 50GB total that's installed. I have a couple of huge files on my computer that I'd like to get off of there, and temporarily store on the empeg since so much space is there.

Since one of the files is over 20gb, I've got to make sure all of the free space is on one drive so that it will fit. I thought it would be no problem to just go through drive1 doing commands like "mv /empeg/fids1/_00012/* /empeg/fids0/", and then re-fidsift it again when I was done to get all of the files in the right subdirectories in /empeg/fids0.

After doing a few directories worth, I wanted to see how many miscellaneous fids I had sitting in /empeg/fids0, so I did "ls /empeg/fids0". To my surprise, I saw there were none, just the directories. I remembered the changes to hijack WRT the fids subdirectories, and I thought "well, hijack must be transparently redirecting them to get them in the right subdirectory". But, I checked the subdirectories, and nothing new is in there. So, I made a directory called '_00aaa' in /empeg/fids1/ and /empeg/fids0, and made a file called 'aaa' in /empeg/fids1. Then, I ran "mv /empeg/fids1/* /empeg/fids0/", and the 'aaa' file is totally gone. It's not in /empeg/fids0, not in /empeg/fids0/_00aaa, not in /empeg/fids1, not in /empeg/fids1/_00aaa, not anywhere.

So, my questions:

1. Is there any chance that hijack is trying to automatically redirect the file moving and failing, thus eating the file somehow?

2. If it's not hijack, am I just doing something colossally stupid and not seeing it?

3. If it's not hijack and it's not me, then what could it be?

4. If I were to start all over again, is there any command that I could have done to get it done faster rather than that big sequence of mv commands?