Again, it all sounds good on paper.

I'm really looking for something to come along and give the iPod a run for its money. At this point, the iPod, its marketing buzz and availability simply make everything else seem nearly irrelevant in most people's eyes.

To appeal to me (this may not have any impact on the mass market) a cool portable device would also have (available as options) a great car connection kit like the IceLink as well as a home docking station that did a lot more than hook up to your PC. Something with a larger display or TV output (with a simple graphics controller) would be great.

None of the above speaks of the device itself. Personally, I want a BIG hard drive and enough CPU power to play video as well as audio. It doesn't have to have a huge built-in screen. I'd like to be able to connect it to external displays for playback. Such a device should most definitely double as portable storage (allowing one to play the same content from it directly on a laptop or other computer).

These types of devices will be a new target for content exported from personal video recorders (computer-based, TiVo, etc..). Definitely on my mind while developing such PVR designs... (shhhh)

Bruno