There's several model lines; Most of them have different command sets, shapes, sizes, speeds, etc. I have software to drive my 9300-series, Mike (foxtrot_xray) sent me a k610a to port it to but the board fried due to a polarity misunderstanding and he hasn't sent a replacement, at the same time I was going to port the 7000-series, which is almost the same command set as the 9300. So I haven't worked on the 7000 even though I guess I could, I wanted to cover all the displays (at the time, this one is new) at the same time.

Basic drawing is pretty easy, it's optimizing it to fit down the speed of serial that's an issue for several models. 38400 won't even do 10fps just blasting out raw frames. I've done a fair bit of work optimizing for the 9300 that could be mostly reused.

Then there's other issues I haven't really looked into like getting the player app to not hog the CPU and stop drawing onto your screen or listening for key input. There might not be much we can do about drawing because it takes actual CPU time, but the key input should be able to run with high priority because all it has to do is check for a byte on the serial line every few dozen ms.

My input is a Grayhill joystick that covers the 7 standard Empeg face functions (the stick also twists and pushes in), and 6 other buttons that can be assigned to whatever keycodes.. A BasicStamp takes the output of all them and sends serial commands, 'D' for down button down, 'd' for down button up, etc, then an app on the Empeg receives them and injects keys into hijack.