I'm having trouble with God's Flashlight (the Sun).

My back deck faces directly West. We have a fantastic view of the California central valley from our deck, so that's where we put the hot tub, right under the kitchen window.

I've wired some outdoor speakers under the awning above the hot tub, and the Rio Receiver is connected to those speaker wires.

I do not have room on the kitchen windowsill to mount the Receiver, and we get some very severe weather up here on this hilltop, so I don't have a way of mounting the Receiver directly within view of the hot tub without major building work.

My current work-around is to use a small infrared repeater (a Radio Shack "remote control extender", essentially the same product as the terk/X10 "powermid") sitting on the kitchen windowsill. I can shine the remote control through the kitchen window at the IR repeater, and it will control the Rio Receiver which is mounted safely in the living room. Works great, actually, I have no trouble skipping tracks and controlling the volume from inside the hot tub. (I pick the playlist before getting in the tub, so that's all I need to do.)

Except when the sun shines into the kitchen window, which is pretty much any time between midday and sunset. Then the radiation from the sun gives the IR repeater fits, and it sends random IR commands in a steady stream.

The random commands wouldn't be so much of an issue, except that the Rio Receiver stutters about once every 30-60 seconds because of these random commands.

So if I ever want to listen to the Rio Receiver during the day, I have to unplug the IR repeater to prevent the stuttering. And forget even using the remote control when the sun shines on the repeater.

So... Barring some kind of a software fix for the Receiver (and I'm not sure if something like this is even fixable in software), is there a way I can filter the IR repeater? Is it even possible to filter the problem sunlight frequencies without also filtering the remote control's commands?

I've heard mention of infrared filter material that's available at camera shops. We don't have a local camera shop, so if this kind of thing were to work, I'd need to know an online source for the material. But how can that material even work if the sunlight is causing problems in the same frequency range as the real infrared commands?