In reply to:

The other problem is that the stream plays back slightly slowly (you can notice that the pitch is lower than it should be) I think this may be due to the sample rate, the MP2 stream is a 48khz stream. Anyone know if there is anything that can be done about this ?

Yes, the sample rate is the problem. The Rio hardware is locked at 44.1KHz. I'm sure it's possible to downsample, but I'm not enough of a physics person to know off hand how to do it. Anybody have any suggestions? Can we just drop every nth frame?
In reply to:

P.S. Should I be pointing the player at the stream itself, or the .pls file with the details in ?

Right now you need to point the player at the stream itself. I'm looking into adding code to handle the .pls files but it's not there yet. Eventually I'd like to have a better way of entering streams. I could make a web based interface to the receiver, but the stream URLs would not be persistent (as far as I can tell, the built in NFS server in the Rio software is read-only). Otherwise maybe I could write a supplemental server program that just serves up the stream addresses, but that seems overkill. I also considered hiding the stream URLs in a file that looked like an MP3, but that seems like a hack. Anyone have a good idea for this?