Heh, just experienced this and thought I'd add a post that'll add a few keywords (like "French")....

I ripped a Maurane CD under grip/cdparanoia/lame without problems onto my Linux file store, but when it came time to move it to the Empeg, emplode refused to move most of the files. Looking at it more closely, the freedb lookup worked perfectly -- giving me titles in French complete with accents. While these show up perfectly under Linux, the accented characters appear as a dark "uber-pipe" character under Windows (a darker, thicker pipe character) and any songs with those characters refuse to transfer under Emplode.

So, I went back to Linux, renamed files to eliminate accents, and all is well. Once they synch, at title such as "Qui a part nous ?" does show up with the accent over the A in the ID3-derived title, it just can't seem to work in the filename.

I can't start to think of what other languages this might apply to, or whether there is a way to get around this illegal character issue by installing additional character set support under Windows. Would this be an issue for Emplode users who have a different character set by default?

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.