Quote:
Quote:
What are the advantages of this method?

Primarily, reliability. In an automotive application, vibration will remove patch wires eventually, unless you use a LOT of glue. Plus it will be quicker to assemble and if necessary debug.

Getting to 48MB the other way is difficult, and getting to 64MB incredibly so. 64MB also requires some creativity to deal with the limited clearance between the memory and IDE cable. I raised my drive tray, and peakmop separated his IDE cable so he could move it out of the way. Neither of those measures could be described as routine. Whilst I'm not too concerned with reliability issues for the players that I've done (lots of glue, heh!), the new method should be a much better way to do it.

I'd point out that the 'old' way is still going to be a cost effective 32MB upgrade (~$80 installed) for those who can't justify the (estimated) $240 installed cost of the new 64MB upgrade. Paul still has chips available for those who chose that route. (And it shouldn't preclude an eventual 64 upgrade either).

For anyone questioning the cost of this new method, a 64MB upgrade done the old way would end up costing about the same anyway, ( 3 * $30 chips) + ( 3 * $50 installs) = $240.