but I upgrade it so often for alpha tests that I'd be re-doing the distro far to often for my tastes.

For what it's worth, I extracted Jim Pick's debian tarball to a directory on one of music partitions, chrooted to the new environment, and installed a few more packages that I needed. After booting the player, all I need to do is turn on the swap partition and chroot into the other environment, and I'm all set. No mucking up the root partition, and upgrades don't affect it.

As for development under windows - I really have no idea if it will work, but you could try building everything up like you would on a linux box. gcc for windows can be found here. You'll need all sorts of other stuff to go with it - Fortunately, it's all opensource. Unfortunately, you may have to compile it yourself .

Of course, NT has a POSIX subsystem installed by default, but I've never tried running POSIX apps under NT...

Not that it's much help (especially since I'm a NT sysadmin by trade, and only dabble in Linux and programming in general cause I have nothing better to do), but there's my 2 cents.

Bill B.
Mk.2 SN 080000183 - 38 GB /
Green