Thanks, folks. I guess I'll just keep chugging away at it.

Quote:
Think of the recycle bin as simply an intelligent place that files are sent to before they're actually deleted.

Heh, I should hope I know how the recycle bin works I was more talking about how data is still on the drive but hasn't been written over yet or affirmatively deleted from the disk. I wasn't sure if the Windows defragger counted that information, or if it simply disregarded it when moving the file pieces around.

Quote:
Due to the way Windows degragments drives, you will need at least 10% and more preferably 20% of the drive space to be unused.

Like I said, at least 25% of the drive is free, and this is on a machine that wouldn't have any files over 100MB, let alone 1GB. Yet the graphical representation, even when the application is maximized, shows what I would call about 5% of the graph as "free space." On all the other machines I've done this with, the graph has pretty closely matched the drive information I had on hand.

Quote:
how long can 5GB take?

Famous last words! The answer: apparently longer than my 200GB drive at home. I'm just concerned because the drive seems very opposed to being defragged. I've run it several times now (around 10), and I still see the same amount of red I did before.

Quote:
And here I was thinking you were trying to put arms and legs back on to torsos....

LOL