Since I'm no digital photography expert, I just thought I'd chime in here with a suggestion for the viewing size problem. I'd recommend that if you're going on a long vacation, and not taking a laptop with you, that you consider something like the Archos AV400 series of products. Sure, you can take a bunch of 1GB cards with you, or you could load them all onto this handy device, view them, and have a bunch of movies and music on there as well. I found it to be great entertainment for plane trips and the like, and when I needed space for more pictures I just deleted some of the video I had already watched.

The only downside is that image playback won't be perfect. It's still a 3.whatever screen that won't be able to reproduce large images perfectly. But it gives you a better idea. Purely as a digital wallet/portable entertainment center it's worth it.

Anyway, I just thought I'd offer that up. The AV340 model I have was a huge hit with my girlfriend on our trip to Europe. We watched episodes of Scrubs on trains in 4 countries