Quote:
But to think that doing the wrong thing is actually the right thing is a symptom of sociopathy
Depends on how you define "right" and "wrong" though. When "wrong" is very clearly defined (don't kill an inoccent child for absolutly no reason), then doing it and considering it "right" would be sociopathic. However, in many situations, including torture and war, the lines get blurred and nuanced. Often in the middle of it "right" and "wrong" get hard to see. I agree with you that what we're doing with regards to prisoners is wrong, but I'm guessing there's been a lot of rationalization over what's best for the people, in our nation and the world. That doesn't keep it from being wrong, but I'd say it's not a case of a clear "wrong" being viewed as "right"

The view of the Bush administration as clearly (at least to me) been that they are making some tough choices to do what is best in the long run. A lot of it (the war, the Patriot Act) is questionable and only history will tell the truth.

It's easy to say war is always "wrong" because it's evil, but somtimes war is the best option we have.