Quote:
Maybe one of these antennas would work?

Yes, those are the sort of thing that my ISP uses. One of those looks like the one on my roof right now.

But the thing is, it's pointing at something that's about 7 miles away. So even a small low-gain antenna might be enough for you. Your problem is more likely one of elevation and line-of-sight than of antenna gain.

You might be able to get a decent signal just by carrying the router up to your roof.

At that point, though, resist the temptation to put the router in your attic. I did that once, worked fine through the winter, but when spring came I started getting strange errors. The routers would start failing each afternoon with regularity. Turns out the equipment won't work when it's in a hot environment and needs to be at room temperature to function.

So you'll probably want an external antenna anyway. The pringles can might be enough antenna gain for you, unfortunately pringles cans aren't ruggedized for weather. So you're probably looking at a purchase. But try the router-on-the-roof thing to see if you get a signal, first.