I don't remember where but I remember reading on this board that the Empeg only uses around 30% of CPU when playing and displaying visuals. That being the case, I think the empeg certainly has the goods to encode mp3's on the fly. It might take a little longer than a really fast PC but it should be more than required.

Even if you had to record to WAV and compress after recording as a seperate low or high threaded task, you could listen to music and compress mp3's for your recorded WAVs as a backround task. It would still be the coolest feature around. Hell, My Ipaq PDA (206Mhz) can record 44,100Hz-16Bit Stereo at 172KB/Sec..... So, the empeg should not break a sweat.

Please! .... This would be an awesome feature.
Another thought:
It would be really sweet if the IDE was exported outside the Empeg for an external CDROM drive (or matching intergrated unit) allowing the Empeg to do direct Digital ripping + play CD's, CDR's, and load software.
"I realize that last wish is a pipe dream due to the S3 RIO deal.... But it's fun to dream!

12Gb MKII 080000516 Blue