IIRC, under JEmplode, there is only Ethernet download capability (I suspect I will be corrected rather rapidly here if this is not the case).

You have correctly made the correct type of physical connection between the unit and your Mac, an ethernet cross cable. If all was configured at both ends of the pipe (which it isn't at the moment) then you would be in a position to download tracks. You would not be able to update the player software, which requires a serial port connection. You would also not be able to get a command line prompt to do any manual configuration work. This does tend to limit your possibilities somewhat.

With the USB/serial convertor, you should be able to:
- configure the serial port speed
- use a terminal program to connect to the empeg via the serial port.

Have you tried something as primative as Z-Term with the convertor to see if you can actually make a (non-JEmplode) connection to the empeg?

Have you tried using VirtualPC with the USB/Serial convertor to see if you can use Hyperterm in Windoze to connect to the empeg?

Is there any reason why you can't find a friend with a Windoze machine to get you past this configuration hump with the least effort? It may be worth your while to do so, thereby avoiding an agonising wait to get this going.

As much as I am an Apple fan (I have two Powerbooks and a 750 at home) I still rail at their arrogance in trying to Unilaterally render the RS-232 port obsolete. No matter how well intentioned this may be, the reality is that computers have to collaborate with other devices in the real world to be useful. Not good.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015