I think maybe posting your standing here (how many posts), or Ebay feedback is a good idea. Failing that, then possibly a reference from someone already on the board with a 'healthy' standing. Failing all of those, then definaltly a phone number of the SELLER (via email or pm to be private) (so the buyer can contact them, and the seller willing to go to the expense and hassle of a COD arrangment. Also, feedback when the transaction is completed (or scammed!) to let others know about it.
Sound decent? I also think knowing as much of the history is a great idea, however, with only two to my credit, and another in Rob S's hands, I get confused. Shouldn't be a show stopper but should be considered. I have sent stuff to members of the board and each time, I have sent first, and I have not been screwed yet. I traded for a ML Dock, and shipped my stuff first. I sent a M.O. for a tuner kit, and it works great! I sent another person an 8 port Fast Ethernet Switch/router for the heck of it. In each case I sent first, however, I did check, read messages, and had contact with them. Each deal had the exact expectations of each party. I think they all went smooth, but you would have to ask ML, SonicLoop and Sport Driver to name a few, to be sure....