The company which I formed to sell lit buttons has a simple name. The coresponding .com and .net domains are, of course, poached. Though I don't mind running my business from my ISP webspace, having a domain name would be nice.

So I ask more to start conversation than to have you guys do my homework for me (which I haven't done because I'm not too desperate for it): How DOES a reasonable person buy a poached domain? From the bidding and bluffing with the poachers, right down to the technical transfer of title via registrar; is it reasonably possible?

I'm assuming I'd need to speak to the poacher, who will, of course, name their price for the domain. To make them believe that I'm a one man side-job with a non-existant profit margin in order to get a better price seems to be the task at hand. Then, to transfer the domain from whatever registrar they chose may be tricky as well.

Has anyone here ever done it? Hey, I'd pay to have one less poached domain in the name space. Poor Jon Postel is spinning fast enough to generate electricity.